New Perspective on U2

Gas Hed

Growing up in the '80s through the '90s was great musically and I like many was in love with U2. It was all about Bono and the fire and creativity he brought to the table. Now that I'm older and listening to them again after a decade or so break I'm realizing that U2 would have been nothing without the Edge. His tones and use of effects is really what sucked me in at the time. I just didn't appreciate or recognized it back then. I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees. Cheers to him!

U2's The Edge soundchecks his guitar rig (It Might Get Loud) - YouTube

Last edited:

screamtone

Gold Supporting Member
Here's a short video I shot at the Louisville show on the Joshua Tree anniversary tour. Amazing seats thanks to a wonderful person in the U2 organization.

I absolutely cannot imagine a better way to open a show, and yes, @Joe Robinson, Larry is the perfect person for this band.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris, confuse, paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
I have a great deal of respect for The Edge. He'd be the first to tell you they aren't great musicians but that, that was something they used to their advantage. He speaks from the heart and seems very street intelligent yet humble. you can really get that from this clip.
Here he's speaking about their career in a nutshell. Such honesty from Anyone let along a mega successful guitarist is refreshing. Again, no bull but no negativity either. It's a little long but worth it. Skip to the 11:00 point where he gives "secrets" to success if you can't sit through it all.

bettset

I have a great deal of respect for The Edge. He'd be the first to tell you they aren't great musicians but that, that was something they used to their advantage. He speaks from the heart and seems very street intelligent yet humble. you can really get that from this clip.
Here he's speaking about their career in a nutshell. Such honesty from Anyone let along a mega successful guitarist is refreshing. Again, no bull but no negativity either. It's a little long but worth it. Skip to the 11:00 point where he gives "secrets" to success if you can't sit through it all.

alot of the greats aren't the "best" or "great" musicians, but they are solid. and the edge has an ear for what i call sonics. and he placed everything very well in the music they have done. stayed humble from what i heard him say in the vid. smart guy. and earned it all :munch

JiveJust

The Edge also has an amazing collection of Lovetone pedals (in addition to probably ever other pedal maker) which I remember from Guitar Player magazine and I drooled over the Doppelganger, Wobulator and Ring Stinger. Still do.

Whittlez

Silver Supporting Member
Growing up in the '80s through the '90s was great musically and I like many was in love with U2. It was all about Bono and the fire and creativity he brought to the table. Now that I'm older and listening to them again after a decade or so break I'm realizing that U2 would have been nothing without the Edge. His tones and use of effects is really what sucked me in at the time. I just didn't appreciate or recognized it back then. I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees. Cheers to him!

I pretty much learned to play guitar by figuring out U2, The Police, The Sex Pistols, and The Clash tunes.

He has always been one of my guitar idols and will remain so ... His contributions to music are massive. Long live The Edge

JiveJust

I know it's really simple tune but Bullet the Blue Sky was important for me when I was growing up. I couldn't play like a virtuoso, still can't. The slide tone and how effective The Edge was with just a few notes and some feedback - just floored me at a very young age. It made me realize I didn't need to play fast or even spectacularly to make good music. It might be why I stuck with guitar.

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
luckiest band ever

but they knew how to work it & they pushed a lot of boundaries

all of them have made an enormous contribution

it's difficult to believe a guitar player on hearing U2 in the 80s would not have been amazed by edge

I agree with all of it. I've always loved Edge's playing and their unabashed stance to be legendary. Bono's voice is all part of the mix. Edge's penchant for brevity is a big plus in that band.

jvin248

There was an interview/documentary type of video a few years back (haven't been able to find it since) that showed the Edge's practice space and it was nearly unbelievably stuffed with pedals. Every type imaginable. Sure they are cheap, he has more money than a king, and pedals are thirty percent of the songs ...

I stopped listening to the band as they got politically preachy. Put in a song if you must, and entertain us, otherwise be quiet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom