• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Peterson BodyBeat Metronome

DamianL

what an excellent idea!

I'm definitely looking into this one...my sense of rhythm stinks..:(

Damian

analogmike

Vendor
I showed it to my drummer at NAMM (he needs it) and he told me he'd stick it somewhere on (in) my body that would not be too pleasant.

Kappy

They don't give a whole lot of info about this (even on Peterson's site). How slow does it go, how fast? How many different time sigs can you program into it.

Also, I'm curious to know how the vibe clip effects battery life on this thing. Sounds like it could potentially be a huge power suck.

I think it's a good idea to make the rhythm a little more physical/personal than just audio/visual though, so it's definitely a nice feature to have in a metronome.

it's a cool idea, but i'd want to wait for some feedback before shelling out $100. for me, i'd be worried about feeling the pulse live. i know i never seem to feel my cell phone vibrating when on stage... too much air moving.

mlongano

Well I finally got the metronome today after the initial backorder. So far I like it a lot. It can be used traditionally either visually or aurally, and with the Vibe clip plugged in, you can "feel" the metronome even while playing through a cranked 60 watt Komet!!

The only bad thing was that it made me realize something which I never wanted to admit...my timing sucks. Hopefully, by practicing with the BodyBeat, my timing will improve!!

What is the lowest bpm setting? I think I'm starting to get why jtzucker was recommending metronomes that can do less than 40bpm. It's hard to practice alternating between regular and double-time phrasing, for example, if I can't get the metronome super low.

Up to how many beats in one measure are allowed?

mlongano

What is the lowest bpm setting? I think I'm starting to get why jtzucker was recommending metronomes that can do less than 40bpm. It's hard to practice alternating between regular and double-time phrasing, for example, if I can't get the metronome super low.

Up to how many beats in one measure are allowed?
40 bpm; 9 beats per bar; the divisions can be set to quarter, eighth, triplets, sixteenth, dotted eighth and sixteenth, dotted sixteenth and thirtysecond, sixteenth and dotted eighth, thirtysecond and dotted sixteenth.

Kappy

The rhythm source metronome goes as slow as 6 bpm. 1 (count ten seconds) 2 (count ten seconds). :D

Some of the hardest rhythm work I've ever done was trying to play just on the beat but steady at below 20BPM.

mlongano

This metronome seems to be actually helping me to play faster...for some reason, although every instructor tells you to get a metronome, I never have.

If I find out at this late stage that I can learn to play with speed due to the metronome, I'm gonna be pissed at all of those wasted years!!

Super Locrian

The BodyBeat provides drummers and percussionists with a rhythmic pulse they can feel rather than hear, avoiding the fatigue and potential harm caused by prolonged exposure to monotonous clicks and cowbell sounds.
Yeah, those cowbell sounds can really harm you if you're not careful! :D

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
does no one else think that $99 for a $30 metronome with a tiny pulsing device is expensive? I'll wait 'till Korg copys it. Good idea though.

40 bpm; 9 beats per bar; the divisions can be set to quarter, eighth, triplets, sixteenth, dotted eighth and sixteenth, dotted sixteenth and thirtysecond, sixteenth and dotted eighth, thirtysecond and dotted sixteenth.
I'll go for a Boss metronome then.

My Korg goes down to 40bpm too. I really noticed how 40bpm can be too fast when I was practicing my viola part for some Bach - it was standard 4/4 time but lots of quarter notes mixed with 16ths in the same measure. With the Korg I have to resort to tricks like setting it to 8th note beats.

DaveF

Does anyone knwo if there are any other manufacturers making a pulsing metronome yet?

sunken.anchor

I'd love to get one for when I play drums, but I so wish it had tap tempo. I don't click off every song and I think it'd be hard to sync up the tempo when someone else starts the song. Otherwise, I'd probably get one.

I've considered asking an electronics whiz if it's feasible to put together some kind of DIY version... I'd even be content w/ something that only had tap tempo and the pulse.

3 Mile Stone

Silver Supporting Member
I showed it to my drummer at NAMM (he needs it) and he told me he'd stick it somewhere on (in) my body that would not be too pleasant.

Yea, that is unfortunately a too common sentiment with some drummers and the ones that seem to resist it the hardest are the ones that need it the most. I only know one that will not play without a tempo regulating device of some sort. He is excellent. He would be interested.

Top Bottom