• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Peterson Classic Stomp Tuner

ShaneV

Put it this way: I just got a turbo tuner last week and this doesn't make me wish I'd waited.

Plus their marketing is making me a little angry. Tuner pedals have mojo? Peterson pioneered true bypass switching?

The ability to program it over USB could be cool, but I still think I'd rather have the Turbo.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Put it this way: I just got a turbo tuner last week and this doesn't make me wish I'd waited.

Plus their marketing is making me a little angry. Tuner pedals have mojo? Peterson pioneered true bypass switching?

The ability to program it over USB could be cool, but I still think I'd rather have the Turbo.
What's your take on the Turbo Tuner? Are there any obvious down points about it?

ShaneV

What's your take on the Turbo Tuner? Are there any obvious down points about it?
So far I'm having more trouble adjusting to the strobe display than I'd like, but that's more of a down side to me than the pedal, and it'd be the same with any strobe display pedal. Aside from that it's a very impressive pedal. I never realized how often I would sweeten things by ear after I tuned with a tuner until I had the Turbo- everything is dead on in tune when I click it off.

I don't use any weird sweetened tunings, and I just tune in chromatic mode, so I don't need any bells and whistles- which it admittedly has less of than the Peterson tuners.

mjm59

If for no other reason, some people might appreciate this feature:

Large, High-Contrast Display Is Easily Visible In Direct Sunlight

Sounds pretty cool to me.

ShaneV

Yeah, that's one thing that's awesome about the Petersons and the new Planet Waves Tru STrobe.

Aquinas

I love my turbo. I use a strobo when I play outside...

I like the way this new one looks, though.
If the price is right...

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
I think it looks cool. But I'm sticking with my StroboStomp2 - does the job. I tried the PolyTune iPhone app and it was pretty cool to tune all 6 strings at a time though!

charmboy

There was a time when the strobostomp was the only TB tuner on the market. That was the main selling point when I bought mine.

Rocksully

There was a time when the strobostomp was the only TB tuner on the market. That was the main selling point when I bought mine.

Same. I found that tuner to be horrible in the sun as I could never read it.
Took up a lot of space for a tuner as well.

charmboy

I actually found it to be quite visible in direct sunlight. That was the only thing about it that made me consider keeping mine. In the end though, I got sick of having to regularly reattach the jacks and the fact that I had to superglue the screen back on just left me with severe disappointment in a $200 tuner. Turbo Tuner is head and shoulders above at a fraction of the cost... I even liked the Pitch Black much much more than my strobostomp.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
This might be better asked in a new thread but I'm curious how many Stobostomp users consider the DI feature as being of major importance to their needs and what their assessment of the DI is?

BryanMatthews

that peterson does not interest me one jot, the turbo tuner is imo the best tuner currently available and there isnt a model that comes close to it.

Moe45673

The Turbo Tuner is the best tuner on the market at the moment, except for playing in direct sunlight.

Forget your biases (and there seem to be few in this thread, it's actually fairly objective), if the new Peterson is priced right and doesn't have the build quality issues of prior offerings from Peterson, it may be the TT-killer. Unless, of course, folks can tell the diff between 0.1 and 0.02 cents

ShaneV

The Turbo Tuner is the best tuner on the market at the moment, except for playing in direct sunlight.

Forget your biases (and there seem to be few in this thread, it's actually fairly objective), if the new Peterson is priced right and doesn't have the build quality issues of prior offerings from Peterson, it may be the TT-killer. Unless, of course, folks can tell the diff between 0.1 and 0.02 cents

I think the Planet Waves Tru-Trobe is something to consider too. It's very inexpensive, true bypass, has buzz feiten mode, small size, and daylight friendly LCD display. I think the new Peterson will have to compete against that pretty directly, since both will be in big box stores, wheras the Turbo is still pretty niche oriented.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i'm stifling a smug turbo-owning yawn myself, but you gotta admit, between this, the brilliant iphone app and their new little clip-on strobe, the peterson company is not slacking off, is it?

Mac-P

Silver Supporting Member
I always preferred the Strobostomp for the LCD in sunlight, sweetened tunings & powering a daisy chain (Turbo has none of those things). Never had one problem with the Peterson in 7 years. This new one looks very interesting though...

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I always preferred the Strobostomp for the LCD in sunlight, sweetened tunings & powering a daisy chain (Turbo has none of those things).
no argument on the sunlight thing, but remember, you can program in your own "sweetened" tunings (to me, they're actually "soured" tunings, but whatever), and the daisy chain thing can be better accomplished with a $10 splitter cable.

Trending Topics