New Pickup Installation Issue

SeanDog

Hi, total newb here so sorry if this sounds frustrating.

I recently got new pickups for my sg and began installing them the other night. After much turmoil learning to solder and what not I was able to install the pickups.

The problem is with the neck pickup, it doesn't work when the wiring is seemingly correct. To troubleshoot I soldered the hot wire to the 3 way switch and was able to get a signal this way. This makes me wonder if I damaged the volume pot, however when the hot wire was soldered to the three way switch, the volume pot was acting sort of as an on off which makes me think it's not broke.

Looking at the hot lug (I think that's what it is?) It's kind of covered in solder, could this be the issue with that connection?

Any input would be appreciated.

SeanDog

Shameless bump.

Perhaps my question wasn't very clear. My suspicion here is that I damaged the lug that the hot wire connects to. Is this possible? I mean I didn't snap the thing off or anything but the solder is fairly sloppy. I've tried re-soldering multiple times and I still get no output.

Richard Guy

Do you have a VOM? If not, solder suck the glop on the pots leg and reapply solder once you've cleaned things up. Also, look at the pot where the three legs are pressed into a phenolic backing. Look between each of the three legs on the pot. If you PM me with your phone number and a good time to call tomorrow AM, I can walk you through this. If you can get your hands on a meter, all the better, even if you don't know how to use it, I will explain. No worries, we will fix it.

SeanDog

Do you have a VOM? If not, solder suck the glop on the pots leg and reapply solder once you've cleaned things up. Also, look at the pot where the three legs are pressed into a phenolic backing. Look between each of the three legs on the pot. If you PM me with your phone number and a good time to call tomorrow AM, I can walk you through this. If you can get your hands on a meter, all the better, even if you don't know how to use it, I will explain. No worries, we will fix it.
Thanks! I'll buy a solder sucker and give that a try. Hopefully that does the trick.

mike shaw

While you're at it, grab some de-soldering braid. Sometimes it can be more useful in getting in tight places

Trending Topics