New Pickups for HSS strat - Bill Lawrence and Dimarzio

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oacikgoz, Oct 3, 2008.

1. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

I own an HSS US Fender Strat and I would like to replace my stock single coils with Bill Lawrence L-280S for neck and L-200S for the middle position. (Recommended by Becky Lawrence) The stock humbucker in the bridge is a Dimarzio Paf Pro which I really like. I wasn't thinking about replacing it until I talked to Becky who strongly recommended L-500L for the bridge. She told me that it works exceptionally well in split coil combinations. (My 4th position activates 3 pickups at the same time, that's how my guitar was wired when I first got it and I don't like that very much, I want to split humbucker and use with middle pickup instead).

My first question is, how does Dimarzio Paf Pro compare with L-500 Lead? Does it work well with mid/high output single coils well like Dimarzio Paf Pro? If I replace it, do you think I'd be disappointed in any ways?

I mainly play hard rock, 80s hair metal, some texas blues (like SRV). Versatility is very important for me and also I don't want the tone to get much darker when I switch to the bridge pickup. Dimarzio Paf Pro is quite bright for a humbucker pickup, which is a plus for me.

Also, what do you think about L-280S for neck and L-200S for middle position?

Thank you very much

2. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

3. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

4. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

5. steelhead

steelhead Member

Becky is great at recommendations according to your playing style. I told her my style(s) and I have the 280's in the neck and middle with 290 in the bridge. Their L-500 has been around and I'd read the reviews on harmony-central if you want to dig further.

6. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I've bought quite a few pickups from Bill and Becky over the years. I've never received a bad recommendation from her. The L 500 is not a dark sounding pickup. It's very loud and pretty bright. It has a wider frequency response than a standard humbucker. If you're playing mainly hard rock and metal you probably should get the XL version of the L 500. Another of their pickups you should ask about is the L 90. It's more like a standard humbucker but is still brighter, and clearer. I have a pair of those in my slide guitar. One negative about the L 90's is I don't believe they come in white. Black and cream only as far as I know. I have the L 280's in my EC Strat. They sound just fine in that guitar. Her suggested set up would probably work very well for your purposes.
    Another pickup you should ask her about is the L 45S. Those are the dual blade single coil size pickups. I heard them at last years NAMM show. I really liked those a lot.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  7. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

I've had an L500XL for a while now. If you like Nuno Bettencourt's sounds on the first couple of Extreme albums (or all of their records for that matter) go for the L500XL. It's a great pickup. Very high output, approaching active PU levels, but has a very organic sound to it.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I've been emailing and calling/leaving messages for Bill and Becky for weeks now - no reply - I hope everything is OK with them.

9. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Don't e-mail, just call them. They do not email back I think.

I still wonder why Becky recommended an L-200S for the middle pickup.