New plain strings feel rough when bending

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LuckyLuke, Feb 27, 2012.

1. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Member

Upon installing a new set of D'Addario EXL125's on my strat, I noticed how rough and grinding the plain strings are when bending. The roughness goes
    away in fairly short order after playing a bit. If I check an unused fret (22nd fret G for example) even after a week of playing - they feel rough
    I'm assuming becaused they have not been played to smooth out.

A couple of concerns come to mind...

Does this wear the frets down?

Do other sting brands feel this way?

2. bigdaddystinkeye

bigdaddystinkeye Member

Next time I'd try another type of string to find out.

3. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

I have an Epiphone Dot that does the same thing. The problem for me is the cheap fret wire combined with my sweat. My sweat corrodes the fret wire incredibly fast. I have to polish it with steel wool all the time. It is possible the corrosion is on the frets themselves and your strings are polishing the corrosion off after playing for a while. Do your hands sweat when you play? If so I'd suggest wiping the strings/frets down thoroughly when you're done. That has been the biggest thing for me.

I originally thought my problem was my string brand (Elixir). However none of my other guitars do that, just the Epiphone. Just a suggestion of something you may not have considered. I just reread your original post and it sounds like maybe this is only happening for you with NEW sets of strings. If so my advice probably wouldn't help much.