New Planet Waves Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by A440, Feb 15, 2006.

1. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

2. Lution

Lution Member

that looks like a cool little pedal. I'll stick with my Strobo, but If I was looking I'd certainly give that one a try.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I would like to see how accurate it is! Knowing planet waves, and add in the fact that it's not a strobe, I'd say +/- 1 cent. Heck, this could beat the korg dt-10 as the best pedal tuner in a decent price range

4. exodus

exodus Member

It IS a strobe tuner! Here is the description:

"In Strobe mode, the played note appears in green on the oversized rotary display while red LEDs chase clockwise if you're sharp and counter-clockwise if you're flat. They slow down and finally stop as you nail the pitch. In Sweep mode, the LEDS sweep left or right indicating whether you're flat or sharp."

5. Lution

Lution Member

that might be just a mode that makes the lights do a different thing than usual. it doesn't truly mean it's a true strobe tuner.

6. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Nice! Next time I need to replace my tuner, or need an extra, I'll check it out.

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I would like to know about this one myself. Finally someone came out with a pedal tuner that is true bypass like the SS.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Boss tu-2 also has a strobe mode.

9. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I haven't been able to find any specs re the accuracy. curious how it compares to the DT-10.

+/- cents ???

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

And metal jacks! And cheaper than the TU! TB, I am pleased :) Would however love to find out how accurate this thing is. If it measures up to the TU in terms of accuracy, it would STILL be a good buy. If it is BETTER than the TU in terms of accuracy, then it's a steal and 1/2! Good job PW, :BEER
    But now lets get the nitty-gritty. At that price, I would be very surprised if it were better for accuracy than the TU.

Here is some interesting stuff. Looks like PW is going to expand on this.
    http://www.planetwaves.com/NewsDetails.aspx?ParID=6275

11. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

You should also check out the new S.O.S pick tuner they have. It's pretty insane and as accurate as a peterson for $14.99. I have one and its great.

12. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

13. ABKB

ABKB Member

I saw that as well gtr777. Looks interesting, great price too. I just sent off an Email to PW regarding the accuracy on the pedal tuner. Lets see if they bother to reply.:eek:

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Hmm, it looks intriguing. But I'd still like to see it before I sign off on it being true bypass. Pessimist? Me? ;)

The PW ad copy says "True Hardwire Bypass", which usually means the age-old output switching only found in Dunlop wahs, MXR and Marshall (among others). So far, every single time I've seen a manufacturer stick something in between the words "true" and "bypass" ("true hardwire bypass", "true hot-wire bypass" etc), the pedal has turned out to not be TB...

I suppose someone will eventually buy one, and then we'll be able to find out more about it. The first thing to check is if the tuner senses pitch even when the mute switch isn't activated - if it does, it simply can not be TB. There are other things to look for as well, but I guess time will tell. :)

/Andreas

15. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

And I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a Korg DT-10!

Actually, I like that this one looks like it has a smaller footprint and a bigger note display. Now if only it turns out to be super accurate also...

16. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dead on Stinkfoot. Dead on.

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hmmm.

Come to think of it, I do need a tuner for my bass rig. PERFECT TIMING

Stinkfoot, I personally think the bypass on marshall pedals is rather good. My jackhammer is much more transparent than my modded ds-1.

ABKB, I'm sure you'll post here after PW emails you back so swiftly, that it can only be measured in nanoseconds by a fancy mainframe. I eagerly await the response!

18. ABKB

ABKB Member

Thanks Moe, I shall. As yet I have heard nothing, other than a computer generated response of "we will TRY and get back to you in 48 hours". Nothin yet.
    :eek:

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Wow, I'd like both of those items...
    Ixnay on the Strobostomp, I guess... I really like the strobe tuner in the Planet Waves string cutter/winder. I don't use a pick, but if that's accurate, it seems like an easy way to tune (even acoustic)... for $15... I bet I could get it to work with my classical guitar, despite the warning on the MF site..

20. CMB

CMB Member

Sorry to bring this post back, but here is what Planet Waves has to say about the accuracy of the pedal tuner - it's +/- 3 cents like the tu-2.

At least it's true bypass.

craig