New Player needs advice

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ATL_Controller, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ATL_Controller

ATL_Controller Member

I started playing about a month ago, and just started taking lessons last week. I really enjoy Blues (SRV and the like), early and classic Rock. I play on a budget so I have to be careful what equipment I get at this point. I would appreciate any suggestions on "must haves" such as pedals. I don't want to repeat purchases due to getting the wrong equipment.

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Signature Semi-Hollowbody that has incredible sound but that I think is not comfortable to put my arm around (It is fs/ft on TGP). I also have a Marshall 30 watt amp with some effects built in. The distortion isn't too bad but I was thinking I should be using pedals for effects. Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

hello! welcome the wild world of guitar playing!

ill be quick, and get straight to the point. if youve only been playing for a month, i would concentrate on playing effect-less most of the time. things like distortion, overdrive, fuzz. . . they all sound great when used properly, but they can hide mistakes and poor technique. and proper technique is king- everything else will follow. that said, some typical effects include reverb, delay, distortion, overdrive, fuzz, wah, compresion. . . you should do some window shopping online just to get an idea of whats out there. and when it comes to choosing a piece of gear, try to play as many different types as possible.

good luck to you. guitar is difficult, so determination is important.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Hi Alt!,

There is no such thing as a "must have". There are many great pedals out there that just don't suit your needs, depending on style, other gear you have etc.

If you do want to try some pedals over time try to educate yourself first on what would be something you really need/want. As far as learning about pedals you've come to the right place........check out the effects section and gear -demo's for awhile.

4. silvertone

silvertone Member

I agree. If you consider the amount of time you might use checking out gear/pedals, it would be better spent practicing, or checking out the greats on youtube, listening to some classic records you may mot have heard yet, etc. The more you learn and play without the use of effects, the better. When it comes time to add these to your vocabulary, you'll probably have a better idea of what to do with them. It is worth finding a guitar that's fun to play and sounds good, that'll most likely make you want to practice.
    Best of luck!

5. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Get a good tuner. A strat. A Roland Cube 60. Boss SD-1 and one other OD pedal if you desire. Buy an Albert King Greatest Hits and wear it out. This will teach you vibrato,how to be patient, and let a song breathe a little bit. Listen to Clapton also. These guys know when to play and when not to play. While doing all of this, stay away from computers and just learn how to play guitar.

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Since you don't like the Epi, find something that is comfortable to play, and then practice, practice, practice, and play the hell out of it.

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

The best place to woodshed is on a decent acoustic like an Ovation.

Concentrate on getting a good sound on it and that will transfer to electric.

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Best advice- buy used. Anything you buy new will depreciate the second you walk out the store. If you buy used you can usually get most of what you paid back when you resell.

9. tone4days

tone4days Member

spend an afternoon at a guitar store seeing which feel best, if possible, sitting and standing (with a strap) .. at a minimum, try a strat, tele, SG, les paul (or their lower priced counterparts from asia or mexico), and any others that might seem like a good fit ... do not judge with your eyes but rather with your hands, etc (i.e. go for feel, not look) ... then plug several of the best feeling into a decent amp at the store and go for the one that sounds best

agreed that as a beginner you want to spend more time on developing your skills than your gear
    good luck - have fun
    t4d

10. James M

James M Supporting Member

I agree on getting skills first, but I'll just add that you'll never stop buying and selling gear (at least I don't!), so don't worry about trying stuff out too.

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Find a guitar that is comfortable to play, especially the neck. Practice. ALOT.

Don't worry about gear, concentrate on learning the basics and figuring out what you like to play. Then, think about gear to hone your sound.

Mike

12. shane88

shane88 Member

take it easy on the gear and you'll save a lot of buyin + sellin
    play as many different things as you can but don't rush into anything ... you have plaenty of time
    there's lotsa good cheapish gear around these days so it's hard to go wrong
    but first you need to get some ballpark parameters > or take an experienced person shopping with you
    + good luck

13. R.Kirkland

R.Kirkland Member

Ditto ...... practice on an acoustic.. and hound around here for a while and you'll get an idea for the gear that will suit your style of playing , when it surfaces..

14. bhap2

bhap2 Member

What I did (and still do) was to constantly leave the guitar in my lap unplugged while watching TV hanging out etc. I also used to practice in the dark to take my eyes out of the equation. It really helped my touch.

15. James M

James M Supporting Member

That's a really great idea!