New player wants Megadeth type heavy metal guitar recommendations

BarneyFife

This one is out of my wheel house so I'm reaching out for some help. Good friend of mine want to start playing, total beginner, I gave him my knee jerk reaction, strat, until he told me what he likes musically.

He is looking in the $500-$800 range.

thanks in advance, Barn

Last edited:

phodg

He uses Seymour Duncan pickups. Used to use the JB and 59, but now he has a signature set. He's also used BC Rich, Jackson, ESP and Dean guitars pretty extensively.

ned7flat5

I picked up a used ESP LTD M-100FM - it was very cheap because the previous owner carved “SATAN” in the top with a pen knife.

The playability of the guitar is surprisingly good - extremely low action, dead straight 24 fret neck, rings acoustically louder than all my other guitars and stays in tune for months. Not bad for a mistreated Indonesian built superstrat.

In fact, I achieved a long time ambition to learn Satch’s (currently controversial) “Surfing With The Alien” on it in no time at all, underscoring the old maxim of having the right tool for the job.

They can be had for next to nothing and would be my earnest recommendation to a beginner metalhead irrespective of their capacity to pay more.

Misterbulbous

I picked up a used ESP LTD M-100FM - it was very cheap because the previous owner carved “SATAN” in the top with a pen knife.

The playability of the guitar is surprisingly good - extremely low action, dead straight 24 fret neck, rings acoustically louder than all my other guitars and stays in tune for months. Not bad for a mistreated Indonesian built superstrat.

In fact, I achieved a long time ambition to learn Satch’s (currently controversial) “Surfing With The Alien” on it in no time at all, underscoring the old maxim of having the right tool for the job.

They can be had for next to nothing and would be my earnest recommendation to a beginner metalhead irrespective of their capacity to pay more.
lol

No_Stairway

Schecter C-1 (they make C-1's fro.$300 - $1500 or so) inthink they're all 24 fret HB guitars. I PAID $600 for a used C-1 8 or 9 years ago, love the guitar.

aynirar27

Notable Member
Gold Supporting Member
Dime razor or gtfo

Any Ibanez or Jackson would be great. Their budget guitars are solid.
I wouldn't reccomend a guitar with a floyd if you aren't prepared to show him how to change strings on one.

jvin248

Beginner? Hard tail. Too much distraction with any trem.

Best value: Find a used Epiphone Special II or the '100' and pay the $100 for a full fret level and setup. I have an Epi Special Junior and it gets played more than the expensive models, it plays and sounds great after the mods.

Good options: Used PRS SE; get 22 fret for more LP or 24 fret for more SG tones. Used Epiphone SG G-400 24 fret. The Schecters/ESP-LTDs/Chapman and a few other guitar lines are made at the same factory as the PRS.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
Lots of good options. Used PRS SE fits in that rnage as well and is a great quality dual bucker guitar.
The Charvel and Jackson stuff, Ibanez, etc. Hardtail and humbuckers. Schecter and LTD also great.

Find something that makes him excited to look at and play with. But skip the Floyd rose for sure.

s2y

2 humbucker Ibanez, Jackson, etc. It's 1/2 step, so a hard tail might be easier for the average kiddo to set up than a Floyd type.

Trending Topics