New Pod HD series

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jayson, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayson

jayson Member

Looks like some of the new Line 6 Pod HD series are breaking online. Here's a couple of links for the HD300 and HD400.

http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/line-hd300-p-10119.html

http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/line-hd400-p-10120.html

Here's the text incase the links go dead:

Line 6 POD HD400
    [podhd400]$399.00USD[​IMG]Years of groundbreaking research have led us to create an entirely new set of modeling tools. Using the resulting HD amp modeling technology to recreate 16 vintage and modern amps from the ground up has led us to POD HD.

Proprietary research tools, unparalleled technical expertise and painstaking attention to detail has allowed Line 6 to deliver the most authentic tone and realistic feel ever available in any amp modeling product.

Main Features:

• A covetable collection of 16 amps delivered with unmatched HD realism
    • An inspiring compilation of 100 effects including the complete set from the critically acclaimed DL4, MM4, FM4 and DM4.
    • Amazing new effects including looping, pitch shifting and harmonizing for additional creative expression.
    • Comprehensive I/O including analog, digital, balanced, unbalanced, Variax and USB means you’re always ready to perform in any environment.
    • Flexible signal chain scales within the line from easy pre/post routing to allowing any effect to be placed in any slot in any order.
    • Compatibility with new Line 6 adaptive amps enables an unprecedented level of integration, communication and control.
    • All metal construction including heavy duty metal footswitches and expression pedal to withstand on-stage abuse.

Cheers,

jayson

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

"new line 6 adaptive amps"

i'm listening...

sounds like all-new algos and a newfound concentration on the feel (or at least lip-service to it). put me on board for a pod pro... the last x3 pro seemed to do everything right except for the guitar sound/feel. i wonder if the new algo's will also function on the x3 series.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Bakachan

Bakachan Member

I hope the new amp modelisation will be good, because they quite reduced the features IIRC.

Well, if it's quality vs quantity, fine by me.

4. Don Petersen

Don Petersen Member

:D:rotflmao:D

5. JPenn

JPenn Member

I wonder if the reason for decreased amp models is maybe these things will be similar to what Workbench (is that right?) does for the Variax. You can basically design/redesign/create any kind of guitar you want and save it to the Variax, if I understand it correctly. Maybe the new PODs will have 16 "amp locations" and you can just base the 16 models in your particular unit around the amps you want?

If this is the case, I'm sure most folks will be very pleased. I personally don't need 75 different amps. In fact, I pretty much live in JTM45-land with any L6 product I use.

I'm trying to go the modeller/powered monitor route now. Maybe this will be the answer to my prayers! [​IMG]

I wonder what the differences will be in the 300,400, & 500?

6. journo

journo Member

Hi,

According to the links the HD300 is $299, the HD400 is $399 but they share the exact same text regarding features, The HD500 is expected at $599 and those specs looks very similar to these. I wonder what they left out in the 300 and added to the 500?

I'm soooo curious about these!!

Cheers,

Mats N

7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Hmm...now I imagine we are all extremely interested to see if L6 has somehow nailed the sound of a room full of amps and from between $399-599USD are bringing a product to market that has better amp modelling than an AxeFx Ultra.

Though, is this really likely?

Someone (Torn?) said in a post recently that they had in their possession, something from L6 that was quite surprising (something along these lines anyway). Now, this could be Vetta, the HD series or something else but maybe...just maybe...L6 is bringing something quite amazing to market next month that eclipses all other units currently available...and they do it at the cheapest price point for the performance it brings with it.

I can't personally see it happening as regardless of whether they've developed extremely streamlined and carefully coded algo's, they certainly aren’t slapping the fastest TigerSHARC available under the lid.

But you never know.

If they bring out something that is that good for the money and it firmly dusts off my 11R, I’ll be interested to try one out.

I'm just a little hesitant that this is just marketing spiel which is hyping up a solid product that of course beats their X3 but falls short of the revolution they are promoting.

I'm a fan of L6 products so it'll be interesting. Competition stimulates the market and after this, maybe the 11R will get that firmware update I've been waiting for!

Does anyone know what the actual differences are between the 300, 400 and 500?

8. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

Interesting. 16 good to great models are preferred to me over 50+ crappy ones. If they get the modeling right, I'll be buying one. I've been wanting a foot board processor with Axe-fx like amp models since the Axe-Fx came out. If they get even close to the Axe-Fx, I'd be thrilled at that price. I use a good clean, a slightly dirty edge of break up tone, a mid gain rythm and a lead with only a few effects. This would be my grab and go rig for direct to PA.

Knowing line 6, they will release it with 16 models and then you'll be able to buy a bunch of packs as add ons. The won't be releasing that for free like fractal. Line 6 is always about the incremental ways to nickle and dime the customer and repackage existing stuff with features that should have been released the first time to get you to buy it again. That said, they fill a large niche for the budget minded home player.

9. arathorngr

arathorngr Member

Well, if the effects are at the level of M13/M9 and the amp sims really upgraded as they claim from the last pod series, this will be a winner. And the price is not bad at all.

I ask too much maybe, but any info on the looper? If -by any chance- they could incorporate an SD card slot in there for storing loops, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

10. alp

alp Member

Honestly, i am not interested before i saw enough positive user feedback and zero negative, considering reliability... I learned my lesson with M13, which is a great designed, great sounding thing, but it's not engineered well enough. Mine sometimes shuts itself off then turns on, randomly. There are lots of M13s doing this. Line6 was interested to solve this problem earlier... doesn't seem to anymore... at least they stopped giving response to users about this issue on their own forum.. may be they are too busy manufacturing these new things..

11. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

That looks kind of fake to me :dunno

12. lafours

lafours Member

the "adaptive amps" sounds more like some kind of physical hardware amplifiers that these can plug into like the FRFR solution people like with there Axe..

maybe they have front knobs like a real amp that control bass, treble, gain, volume... so you dont have to bend over for the floorboard...

13. desdinova

desdinova Member

I suspect something similar... but it's just speculation at this point.

Also, people, why is it that we have to judge every new modelling product vs the Axe-Fx?

For example, the M13 paradigm of setting up effects on the fly, in a freeform fashion, is a much better approach in the context of the product's intented use than the Axe or whatever else on the market. That means that the M13/M9 are "better", for what they are meant to do (for this example, at least).

14. TowMater

TowMater Member

People compare everything to the Axe-Fx because the Axe-Fx is currently the leader in terms of sound quality. Your point is well taken though that sound quality is not the only measure of a product or even the most important measure in certain circumstances.

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

HOLY CRAP THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!

Sorry for shouting...

16. desdinova

desdinova Member

This is exactly what I was trying to point out; thank you for putting it in much clearer words. ;)

English is not my mother language and I may be lacking in expression sometimes...

17. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

my assumption is that this will denote the differences between pod, pod live, and pod pro(bean, floorboard, and rackmount), though the specs are identical on the site, my money is that this is just early product confusion.

on the subject of SHARC processors, etc. i wouldn't be surprised if they actually do carry a ton of processing power. I wouldn't even be surprised if Line 6 is selling them at very low margins a la sony and xbox, then hyping up the model-pack add ons or other things to sell later. it will be interesting if they chose to go down this route.

18. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Member

Wow. If it is really "the most authentic tone and realistic feel ever available in any amp modeling product," I'm in.

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'm not buying the hype, only that I'd rather have fewer models and have them built into an M13 box. That sounds like what this is!

Any marketing that even implies that it's somehow the equal of an Axe-FX will be ignored by me. That said, I'm satisfied with the tone of my X3Live, if not delighted with the fact that I have to combine it with my M13 to do all I want.

I'm guessing it won't have all the footswitchable changes between 3 settings per bank on the M13, so that won't be for sale anytime soon... but who knows.

20. CrinklesMontgomry

CrinklesMontgomry Member

I'm excited to see how this turns out. Right now I'm running a combination of Vandal and Studio Devil amp sims with Mainstage 2, Soundtoys Delay/Modulation, and a bunch of different EQ/Compression plugins. The tones I'm getting are in my opinion right with the Axe-Fx clips.

Hope they can get close to this quality with a floorboard so I don't have to bring my laptop to gigs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.