New Porcupine Tree Album "Closure/Continuation" - Discuss!

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Let's make this a discussion for the new album out! I'll keep my original post about Rats Return:

I was sort of lukewarm on the other track I've heard off the new album but this one is killing. Those drums beats! Love the heavy riff too, odd rhythms but still accessible. I'm excited for the new album now.

Last edited:

Bankston

Sounds like Steven's collaborations with Mikael Åkerfeldt influenced that song because those jazzy rock riffs sound a lot like Opeth.

I dig it.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
absolutely, but Wes is a dear friend of mine, and I haven't heard anything about why he wasn't included. i've been with he and Steven since the hiatus began, and their relationship was fine.

he, of course, is taking it like the class act he is.
I guess only one person knows the answer to that and they run the show. Did he ask why?

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure who the touring bassist is. Steven Wilson played all the bass on the album.
Just read a short article about the reason for Colin not returning. Wilson just said he played all the bass on the album and that Colin had not kept in touch with anyone, whereas he spoke to Richard and Gavin pretty regularly. When they started working together again SW wrote and played all the bass parts and became the bassist for the album. Seems like there’s more to it than just “he didn’t keep in touch.” Communication is a two way street. Colin’s basslines were an integral part of the PT sound imo.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Just read a short article about the reason for Colin not returning. Wilson just said he played all the bass on the album and that Colin had not kept in touch with anyone, whereas he spoke to Richard and Gavin pretty regularly. When they started working together again SW wrote and played all the bass parts and became the bassist for the album. Seems like there’s more to it than just “he didn’t keep in touch.” Communication is a two way street. Colin’s basslines were an integral part of the PT sound imo.
I thought I remember SW saying he didn't agree on the direction the new stuff was heading towards and there was some conflict there bt I can't recall where I heard that. I agree, his bass lines were so smooth and perfect.

MatsOrbation

Q: Who's playing the bass?
A: on this album, Steve Wilson himself, on upcoming tour Nathan Navarro.

I do have a slight sense that mr Edwin was more prone to their earlier stuff than their "later" Opeth-influenced stuff. I remember I became totally indifferent with Porcupine Tree, when Steven Wilson, in an interview, that "Porcupine Tree is too eclectic for their own good..." and SW started to narrow down and focus on a just special part of their eclectic prog genre, and go a little more towards prog-metal. FWIW I don't find SW's lead voice particularly suitable for these heavier styles. He's better suited towards art rock, independent, and maybe a tad "regular" old school hard rock/classic rock styles. And pop of course. I liked their older eclectic style. One song had almost medieval folk melodies and singing harmonies (Trains) and others was a little Music Hall dogerell (How is your life today) and some where psych rock epics (Dark matter etc) and other prog gems. Then all of a sudden they didn't mix that one up, so those "other" things were reserved for his other projects. Which he had plenty of. They became a run-of-the-mill prog-metal act. I just heard "Deadwing" once all the way through, and the two following albums turned the same fate with me. No surprises. Like the middle 8 "bridge" section of Trains: flamenco tap dance and clapping to a banjo accompaniment.... who would ever come up with that? ****** brilliant, and it fits like it couldn't been done otherwise.

They lost their drama.

Last edited:

ericdrmz

awesome, but pity no guitar solos (so it seems)
it feels 'unfinished' without key/guitar solo part
(i must be used to wilson solo band)

Top Bottom