New Port City Wave OS 2x12 (with new Budda SD30II)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Junk Yard Dog, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I don't have pics until tomorrow nor do I have a tone report on how they sound together for about a week.

I'll get to play the Budda this weekend with my 1936 2x12.

This set up looks amazing. I had the regular 2x12 and sold it b/c I like OS 2x12's, and I cannot articulate how fine this cab looks to me. It's just a sharp looking cab and it's the perfect size for both my Budda and DSL.

I cannot wait to hear how it sounds. I loved the regular Wave 2x12, so I imagine it will just be bigger, which is perfect b/c I have to compete with a 4x12 on stage, but we're usually mic'd so I think I have the advantage here. We don't play metal, but hard rock and blues so we're not aiming for massive low end thump here, but I'm going to see how much thump the Port City gets with my DSL as it has TONS of thump.

That is all.

2. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

The port city os 2x12 has made me consider hanging on to a few amps that I was going to let go. It has made my marshall 2x12 sound like a cardboard box. The port city sounds better to me than the bogner os 2x12, avatar vintage and special cab. All of them are good sounding cabs but the port city just has a nice thick juiciness that the others didn't quite have. The bogner was close.

3. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Just a little tone report after cranking her up!

I just went home for lunch and cranked up my SD30 to about 8:30am, and with my OS Wave 2x12....the thing has so much balls, versatility and tone.

I'm not used to the dynamics of the tone controls yet. What's so new and amazing to me is that when you add or take away a certain frequency, it boosts or decreases another frequency, but not in a bad way...Just in a way that alters your tone altother. THERE IS NOT A BAD TONE TO BE HAD ON THIS AMP!

You can get a convincing metal tone all the way just by turning up the amp's master, BUT, a little hair from an OD will get you to the brootalz in spades, imo. I love the mid push/pull function.

Another thing that I love about the amp is that both my guitars (a frankenstrat with SD C5 in the bridge and a Van Zandt Blues Plus in the neck and mid, and a USA Dean Caddy with DCustom and Pealy Gates Neck) have noticeably different tone differences when you select the different pickups.

The amp baiscally just made my guitars sound significantly better and the pick up configuration sounds seem to jump out at you more...My strat never sounded so diverse in each position.

Great ****ing amp all the way around.

The PC OS Wave 2x12 is it for me...I'll never need a 4x12 ever. I can always put my other 2x12 on top (which fits so well b/c the PC has perfect deminsions) and blow out the first 30 rows.

I have not put my DSL on top of it yet, but imagine it will just smoke. The best way to describe it is how even the reponse is between frequencys...I find myself having to play with my tone controls much less than when I play with my 1936. If anyone had concerns about the thump in their SD30 before, then this cab is a great solution. Of course, my DSL has significantly more thump, but I hang on the Green channel and use JJ E34L's which is just too much bass/thump.
    The PC Wave increases the "hugeness" of my sound by miles after comparing my 1936 and Wave with my Budda, leaving the settings the same.

Daniel is such a tremendous dude and I can't see the honeymoon ending...I'll let you know after 6 months and several gigs later.

4. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I also like the looks of those Port City cabs. What speakers are you using?

5. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I have a Celestion G12-75T and a WGS Vet30...I would like to lost the Celestion and put a Phat 12 in there...

This cab is gorgeous and it seems like it's twice the size of the regular 2x12.

6. portcitymusic

portcitymusic Supporting Member

I am really glad you love the cab.....so where are these pic's you are promising??????

7. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

They're coming...I swear! I don't have a digitial camera at my disposal at this time, but will by this weekend or as early as tonight!

8. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

How much "better" is the OS 2x12 compared to the regular 2x12?

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Much better. See how much bigger it looks? That's how much bigger it sounds.

[​IMG]

10. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Ha! Great response above! You can't go wrong with either, imo. The regular is VERY efficient for its size and I was surprised at how much sound I got from that cab. The regular Wave is smaller than my 1936, but it killed it.

So as stated above, the OS will crush about anything...I like it better than my 1960 4x12 slant.

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Link to their webpage?

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

Had the same experience when I got my Port City (non OS) 2X10. Great cab!

14. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Going by the pic, that OS cab is substantially bigger than the regular cab. I've got a few StoneAge cabinets around here which so far have been the best sounding cabinets. I wonder how they would compare? Hmmm.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

They're the same width and depth. The OS is just taller by about 1.5x.

16. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

as for StoneAge v. PC OS, I've been looking at those two as well... very close in size

StoneAge 2x12C = w~29 7/8" h~ 23 5/8" d~ 12" ($467)
    Port City OS 2x12 = 24h x 11 1/2d x 30w ($525)

17. bosstone

bosstone Member

What are the dimensions of the OS 2 X 12"?

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Iceman....

Is your StoneAge Cabs (2x12 specifically) Open Back or Closed Back? The SA Cabs are even closer to the Avatar Vintage 2x12 (Bogner, etc.)....those cabs ya know.

Anyway, I've been wanting to replace my Avatar 2x12 OB with a custom StoneAge 2x12C. I've had both the regular PC and OS PC cabs and while they are great sounding cabs, I still prefer my Avatar Vintage. I can just hope that the StoneAge 2x12C would be even better.

19. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Both look great. THere's so much activity in boutique and standard line amps, but almost none in guitar cabinets. That IMHO is a mostly untapped market.

20. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Went to the PC website and heres the specs: regular PC 2x12 is 17Hx11.5Dx28W: the OS PC 2x12 is 24Hx11.5Dx30W which makes it about the same sise as a Vintage Avatar 2x12 or StoneAge 2x12C. Seven inches taller and two inches wider.