New Princeton Reverb RI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BmoreTele, Apr 30, 2008.

1. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

I saw a pic in the latest Vintage Guitar in the New Gear section ... looks like Fender is coming out with a reissue of the PR. Not the Recording version. Nothing on the Fender site.

:D

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

They do currently make a Princeton Reverb RI....but it's for export only.

There are separate models for Japan, Europe, Australia, etc. They vary only in voltage requirements.

I heard rumblings about a US version....but so far it's only talk.

3. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

4. erivel

erivel Member

Oh I can't wait!!

5. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

6. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

Can anyone comment on how a PR comapres to DR? I have a DRRI and I can't really crank it past 3 anymore. Was thinking about downsizing to a 12 watt BFPR. I ask because I'm not sure a PR would sound better for the music I've been playing (mostly blues/fusion, Hendrix, EJ etc), and can't even find one to test. The you youtube clips I've heard of the Princeton always sound brighter and twangier, while the a Deluxe sounds more refined. I can cop an EJ clean tone real easy with the DRRI (I gave mine a complete cap job with F&T's & Mallorys ), but it's hard to get any good semi dirty tones even with pedals - amps a bit stiff at low volumes.

Would the PR be a good option for me?

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

Only you can say whether a PR is a good option for you once you've experienced it.

But I will say a PR is not generally "brighter and twangier" than a DR all other things being equal. Who knows how the sound was processed on those youtube videos. But a PR will have stronger mids than a DR in general. The speaker choice will make some difference in the sound, as with any amp. A PR should work very well with blues/fusion or other sounds you are referring to. Starts to crunch nicely around 5+ on the volume.

For good semi-dirty tones at lower volumes, with either amp, you just have to find a good semi-dirty tone pedal. I've used a Tim, Timmy, and silver LTD with a DR and a Princeton and they all sound great.

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Which YouTube vids? :BluesBros

9. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

You are right, I should not make assumtions based on youtube clips. From what I have read, I think the PR & DR are pretty similar except for the bias circuit. Does that result in any tonal difference?

10. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

Sorry, I meant youtube videos of vintage PR's. I just did a search for Fender Princeton Reverb and there are 2 or 3 results of people demoing their originals. I have been considering building one from a kit (can get one from Marsh for under $1k), because the vintage PR's are just too expensive. I'd like to see how Fender prices before I go the kit route. I also want to make sure it's the sound I'm looking for (the DR sound in a lower wattage, smaller package).

11. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Unfortunately Rick I have not played either of the amps. Hopefully this will change in the near future :banana
    But I did run across a mini review of the amps.
    Hope this helps.

http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article2.htm

12. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

The Princeton (tweed, non reverb, BF, SF, it doesnt matter) is my favorite Fender amp.
    Not really enough if you play unmiced with a loud drummer, but for most applications it works great. I know people like to swap the speakers for bigger tone and whatnot, but I really like some of the older 10" speakers in them. They seem to record very well, and turned up to 10 or 12 it gives a very nice impression of an amp about to explode (beacuse it is about to explode). Cool!
    Here is Adam Levy (Norah Jones band) playing one of Norah's songs that I think he wrote using a Tweed Princeton and a nice ES-335. No pedals required.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rQrN0g2A6fQ

13. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

bear in mind that a Deluxe Reverb has an "always-on" brite capacitor. So, a Princeton Rev. will be less brite than a DR in general (although some people clip the brite cap). I have had a Princetojn Reverb for 20 years and it is all aroiund the best amp I have ever had. True, it isn't loud enough in a band situation with a hard hitting drummer but in gerneral it sounds great, easy to use and has that wonderful Fender sound when you turn it up to 3 or 3.5. I put a 12" baffle in mine and have an Eminence Wizard as the speaker- it's louder than you'd think!

P.

14. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Adam's using a brown '63 Princeton in that clip, not a tweed. Sounds AMAZING!!!

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Gotcha! :BEER

16. dougb415

dougb415 Member