New Princeton Reverb type amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tattooedsailor, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tattooedsailor

tattooedsailor Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    I thought I'd give you all a heads up. There's a guy out in Southern California named Dario Gomez who is building great blackface Princeton Reverbs except he's using a 15" speaker all in a nice blonde cabinet. He's been repairing my amps for the past couple years and is phenominal at amp repair. Dario specializes in Fender amps, but has even brought two of my old Magnatones back to life. I went over to his place this past week and he showed me his latest creation. The amp sounds amazing! Great clean tone, 3 spring reverb, lucious tremelo, and LOUD for a PR! He's made his own improvements in the ciruit to improve tone and reliablilty. It great to have a legendary amp that is actually reliable. I think he's selling them for about the same price you can buy a used one that has proplems that will cost an extra couple hundred $'s on a tech's bench. Go to his temporary website to email him. Its great to see that someone is building quality vintage amps that aren't just tweeds.
    www.gomezamps.com
    dario@gomezamps.com

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Can't be the same circuit, can it? The Allen is 18W w/a pair of 6V6s. PRs are 12W (some places list 'em as high as 15W but I've always been told they're 12).

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

Allen's website says "loosely based" on the princeton reverb, though with the 15" speaker, the Gomez ain' t exactly a clone either!

Its hard for me to understand why anyone would buy from these small unknown amp makers (and posters heh ;) ) when there are amps co's out there that will do the same thing or similar and have better resale, proven reliability etc.

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

I don't know anything about Gomez, but I'd say David Allen is pretty well-kown, especially by folks here at TGP. In addition to his own designs "loosely based on BF circuits) he also sells "rescued" vintage amps. His stuff is high quality, very reliable, amazing tone, he's great to deal with.

Resale is pretty decent. Not outragously priced, like some vintage stuff...

-KD

6. tattooedsailor

Just thought I'd pass along some info on a great amp I actually got to play. There is so much speculation on boutique amps these days that a lot of players have never even seen in person, let alone played. Allen amp are great sounding amps no question! But if you're curious about Dario's amps, shoot him an email. He's real easy to talk to and stands behind everything he does. Take care!

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  8. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Looking at the list of products in your sig, Bruno, Dumble, Z, etc...
    Those people wouldn't be around today if they weren't "small
    unknown amp makers" with a following because they made a
    good hand made product, and provided great customer service!!

Duh!

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I could justify $1500+ for a clone of an amp that sells for $1000 in great condition. Maybe in another few years when Princeton Reverbs are over $1500 (I think they'll keep going up in value, too), but that is a lot of money for a pretty simple amp.

Bryan

10. OOG

OOG Member

it's all talk;)

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    In response to the previous postings:

I was reponding to the comment about the size of the speaker versus the original. In regards to the price, well that's what it is. To asnwer the question why would somebody buy from one of these small name companies instead of buying from a larger more well know better resale value brand.

I say well that is a consideration, but I can remember when dumble, Victoria, DrZ, Bruno and many more were just that, small not well know amp manufactures. Do I regret not buying three DrZ Carmen Ghia's when they were only available from him and he didn't sell them through any dealers and could be had for $499, yes I do, but I wasn't sure about Dr.Z back in 1997.

As to buying a vintage used piece versus a new repro, well a couple other factors come into play in my mind. One, I don't want to take vintage gear out to clubs and possibly expose it to damage, being stolen and/or possible reliability issues. When I play out, especially for money, I want to bring something that makes the tone I want, can take the rigors of traveling and is easily replacable.

I personally believe that anyone who buys an amp is on their own personal tonequest and how they get to sonic nirvana is their own doing.

TheGrooveking

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Mr. Raven,

How many handmade, blackface style amps were available in 1985?

How many are available now? (Clark, Tone King, Carr, Allen....more)

The market for these types of amp is saturated *now* which is why no one will buy Mr. Gomez' amps in any volume, because there are other amps available to buyers with better resale, reputation for good sound and reliability....essentially, less risk than buying an unknown amp.

Also, one could argue the amps in my sig did something different, or markedly better, than what was available in the day.

Do you think Allen would have the rep he does if when he introduced his amps there were already 4 or 5 other amps out there that did nice or better blackface tones and had decent resale?

13. kinolo

kinolo Member

i must add to the above that Mr Gomez could have the best amp in the world, but with NO pictures or sound samples on his website he doesn't hafta worry about not being able to keep up with orders !!!---until he takes the time to get serious/professional in regards to building & selling his amps he is like a sailboat in the desert:(

14. tattooedsailor

Dario put some new pictures of the amp up at his website www.gomezamps.com check it out! Its the best PR type amp I've ever played and laid eyes on! The 15" Alnico speaker gives this amp an uniquness all its own.

15. bob-i

bob-i Member

The Princeton is about the best amp ever made. I bought one brand new in 1964 when I bought my first electric guitar. To me it was a beginners amp so when I got more serious I sold it and bought a Super Reverb.

I'm thinking of building one but instead of a tremolo ckt using that tube as an OD stage much like the early Boogie's. I'd stick with the low power though so I could crank it and hit that sweet 6V6 tone.

BTW, these amps measure anywhere from 10 to 18 watts depending on bias and tubes. It's not enough to argue over as it only makes a few Db difference in volume.

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Hello Bob Ingram. My first amp was a new '67 BF PR. I traded it in a couple years later for a Super Reverb. And I grew up in NJ. What a co-inky-dink! :)

17. bob-i

bob-i Member

Yea but did you stack it on top of a Bassman 2x12 and put the bassman head on top of the stack?

So there :rolleyes:

18. riffmeister

No, but I did build an extension speaker cab for the PR, put the Jensen from the PR in it, and replaced the Jensen with a JBL. Then made a "stack".

Oh yes, now I can see that you're jealous. :p

19. bob-i

bob-i Member

Actually I'm pissed that I sold all that stuff, including the Super, the Princeton, the Bassman, 2 Twin Reverbs, an Ampeg Reverb-o-rocket and all the guitars I had. Silly us.

20. riffmeister

I know exactly what you mean......'67 Princeton Reverb, '69 Super Reverb, '69 Gibson ES 345, '72 Marshall Super Lead & two 4x12's.....oh the list goes on.....who woulda known......

I'm NEVER selling my Line 6 POD!!!! :D