New Production Celestions...great speakers or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SkydogFan81, Mar 26, 2008.

Which do you prefer?

1. New Production Celestions

2. Boutique Speakers (Scumbacks, Tone Tubbies, Webers etc)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I have spent all the money I've saved over the last year or so on a $3k+ highly regarded boutique amp head and 2x12 that is being built right now. Not naming names, I talked to the guy and asked about speakers. I told him I have a Tone Tubby AlNiCo in my BFDR and a 4x12 of Scumbacks 75 and 55's that I liked...a lot. He recommended a Celestion Blue and a V30. He also said that he had tried the Tone Tubbies and the Scumbacks in his amps and didn't like them...at all and told me that they pretty much sucked. I really like mine, so that set me back a little, but on the other hand, I don't have any experience with Celestions.

The amp is kind of a Tweed Pro meets JTM 45 (KT66's) deal.

My ideal 2x12 was going to have 1 AlNiCo and 1 Ceramic...something like a Scumnico and a 75M or a Tone Tubby AlNico and a TT ceramic, or maybe a Weber version of each.

You guys that have played lots of speakers including new ones, how do you feel about these new Celestions? Are they really good, as good or better than these "boutique" speakers?

BTW the guy has a good sized "Celestion Equipped" emblem on his website, which makes my think he is getting a deal on them and making alot more $$$ using these speakers.

2. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

3. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

whau... :D

I didn't know that celestion is production and all others are boutique....:crazyguy

What's the difference in how they make production speakers and botique???

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

That's kind of a broad question, so I can only give a broad answer...

I have a bunch of cabs - doing a bit of swapping lately. I like the new celestions and they do exactly what they are supposed to do. My favorite mixes are a blue (or gold) & a G12H30. (a 4x12 with the heritage greenbacks has been quite nice as well).

The tone tubbies are very different speakers - i have a few of those in some other cabs. not as english sounding, if you will - a bit rounder sounding with less edge. certainly not bad speakers by any means, though one or the other might be better for a particular need.

same for the scumbacks. they have a closer correlation to the celestions for obvious reasons, but i haven't felt the need to drop all the celestions or conversely to get rid of the scumbacks.

i'd say if you're getting a decent price on the celestions (less than buying them independently), try those. if you don't like it you can try swapping them out for the other speakers you have and sell the celestions. but be sure to break in the speakers well before making any final judgments.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I like the Celstion Gold a lot.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Don't forget Eminence...more choices, sound just as good or better, half the price, and USA made!

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'll have to take the high road on this one, although I think it's fairly obvious since you posted this, what the deal is.

"BTW the guy has a good sized "Celestion Equipped" emblem on his website, which makes my think he is getting a deal on them and making alot more $$$ using these speakers."

Sorry to hear it just the same.