New products from Boss: Sy-1 / RC-10R

jondom22

Supporting Member
I’ve been very happy with my SY-300 due to its flexibility and phenomenal tracking (no synth or hex system beats it for fast playing and polyphony without glitches). But the size of it is a pita, which is why I’ve been intrigued by the C-4...and now this.

Decisions decisions

JosephZdyrski

SY-1 is nothing new really. All they did was take the same sounds from their BOSS SY-300 unit that came out in 2015, and put some of it in a smaller box. They'll never update it either like they didn't the BOSS SY-300 which is what they should have been doing!
I see what you’re saying but I think the SY-1 is being marketed at guitars like myself..... who... no matter what ... will never ever plug ANY pedal into a PC for said update. Don’t own a PC or laptop actually.

I use CPUs like the kids these days. Just tablets and phones. But they are basically just glorified media browsers with the ability to record and edit video.

For someone like me who would never update the software anyway and won’t even use the sound editing options etc. The pedal format makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

CharAznable

SY-1 is nothing new really. All they did was take the same sounds from their BOSS SY-300 unit that came out in 2015, and put some of it in a smaller box.
Which is PERFECT

The SY-300 is basically a full multi FX unit built around synth sounds. I have it but it's not in my board because it's a pain to haul such a massive thing, with such a deep, cumbersome UI when all I want is a button that I can hit for instant Pat Metheny.

Looks like the SY-1 is perfect for my needs.

woolyh

Glad to see something in the traditional stompbox format, but I have to admit, I'm still a little salty. Dirt is one of the few areas where modern BOSS seems to get smacked around by the boutique market - often using modified BOSS circuits. I don't know how profitable it is, but I'd really like to see them take more of that space back.
They are getting there with the Waza pedals and pedals like the JB-2 Angry Driver.

I'm grateful they got back into analog dirt pedals because to put it in perspective the last analog dirt pedal Boss released before the Waza pedals in 2014 was the MD-2 Mega Distortion in 2001 to cash in on Nu-Metal :D

Brockstar

I get it, it'll be perfect for some people because it's smaller and price is smaller, but they wasted almost 5 yrs and didn't do nothing new or update anything [boss sy-300 is great but it needs some tweaks]. That's what gets me. They didn't listen to their fans on the sy-300 and just blew us off. They didn't listen really to the market that is evolving because they released the same thing in a smaller format etc... Ugh whatever, I'll just move along and wait for something that is actually NEW. :p

sahhas

Supporting Member
interesting...the synthesizer pedal looks right up my alley!!!!!!

I really wish Boss would put some control options on their loopers: like the ability to adjust the pitch/time of a loop, like in the old EH 16 DDL!

monty

It’s unlikely since the 200 series was just announced, but I’m anxiously waiting for an RV-200!

ps. I appreciate the respect in not overshadowing my birthday (today) with a product announcement. Classy move, Boss! :aok
Hey, happy belated birthday to us! :beer

Tom Von Kramm

Gold Supporting Member
RC-10R also seems like their competition to Digitech's Trio Plus. I wonder how they'll compare.
Yep.

I assumed a TRIO+ competitor would come out in 2017... And by TC Electronic. ;)

Took a lot longer than I thought.

It doesn't have the "magic" pitch/beat detection auto-track creation, so maybe this is more of a Beat Buddy competitor...

Last edited:

Jose Eduardo

Yep.

I assumed a TRIO+ competitor would come out in 2017... And by TC Electronic. ;)

Took a lot longer than I thought.

It doesn't have the "magic" pitch/beat detection auto-track creation, so maybe this is more of a Beat Buddy competitor...
Agreed. That's what I noticed when I started reading the manual. So I guess the Trio+ will continue without 'proper' competition. The "magic" pitch/beat detection auto-track creation continues to be unique.

FokenBusker

Agreed. That's what I noticed when I started reading the manual. So I guess the Trio+ will continue without 'proper' competition. The "magic" pitch/beat detection auto-track creation continues to be unique.
Hasn't it been like 5 years since the original Trio was released? Kind of surprising that nobody else decided to try out something like this. It's a great design concept! Glad it makes my Trio that much more special, but it's interesting that nobody else has the guts to try it out ;)

Trending Topics