New products from Boss: Sy-1 / RC-10R

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorist, Jul 10, 2019.

1. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

I'm with you on the updates. I wonder how much information can be sent with a TonePrint-type technology - that seems to work relatively slick.

p.j. likes this.
  2. motokev

motokev Member

what ever it is I want it.

Scott941 and Moody Tuner like this.
  3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I still don't understand why anyone would want that. The original circuit is very simple and has been replicated in dozens of other pedals.

4. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

The same reason people pay 3k for a Klon and clamor for a Waza Slow Gear that less than 1% of the folks that bought it would actually use - the lure of the unobtanium’s mythology.

twoheadedboy likes this.
  5. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Have you priced an HM-2 lately? Prices are high and rising, the pedals are old enough that parts value drift is an issue, and if yours conks out, it's not like you can just pick one up anywhere. If BOSS just followed through with a reissue, we'd be looking at an improved buffer, standardized power requirements, wide commercial availability and reduced/standardized cost. If it went Waza, like the MT-2w, we could be looking at additional EQ and gain structure tweaks, effectively providing 'the' tone and a lot more for the doom/stoner/modern metal crowd. Just my take.

RMosack likes this.
  6. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

You can get all that stuff already in pedals that aren't made by Boss, and that cost a lot less than the Waza stuff. As far as I can tell, the only valid reason to buy a Waza HM-2 is wanting to support Boss.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. poolshark

Even if you ignore concerns for durability, availability and a buffer, I still don't think that's true. If you're into boutique options, all that I'm aware of exceed the $149 price point for Waza dirt. If you want production, that leaves, what, the two knob Eyemaster? To each his own, but I'll wait for BOSS.

8. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that prices for the Waza dirt pedals were so much lower than the prices for the non-dirt pedals. I thought all of the Waza stuff was around $200-220, which would have put an HM-2 reissue in the same price range as the nice 6-knob HM-2 clones. A $150 HM-2 Waza reissue would be a good deal. I might even pick one up for myself.

poolshark likes this.
  9. poolshark

Right on. It’s a tougher call on some of the other Waza dirt, but I think the HM-2 makes pretty solid sense.