1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New project Tele:Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eric Pykala, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've been jonesin' to build a Tele for awhile. I was at a fellow luthiers shop and saw a one-piece swampash Tele body he had started that weighed NOTHING! One of those situations where you have to jump on it right away or kick yourself forever. Sooo...it's currently in paint while I finish the neck and assemble the parts kit. This will be pretty straightforward: rosewood on maple, Callaham vintage bridge (or is the Barden better?), Klusons, yada yada. I'm just torn about pickups. I'm thinking I really like John Suhr's Broadcaster bridge and two of his V60 or LPs for middle and bridge (has to have a middle pickup so I can cover the Strat stuff if I'm only bringing one guitar). I've tried Fralins (just not right), pretty much all the Duncan stuff (still like his Alnico II Pros), forget Dimarzio, forget Fender, forget noiseless. I play classic rock and blues thru a tube rig that really lets the guitar's natural Tone shine through, so I don't mind spending the dough for the right sound. The Strat pickups have to sound like, well, a Strat, but work well with the bridge pickup. I need the bridge to be fat, thick, twangy with no icepick, and after hearing Pete Faragher's Suhr Tele with his Broadcaster in the bridge am leaning strongly in that direction. Anything I'm missing the boat on?
    Thanks in advance; you folks are an incredible resource!-Eric

2. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

the callaham vintage bridge is a great piece. not as twangy as a thinner fender OEM, but more meat and sustain.

There are two builders who rise to the top,

Alan Hamel's tele pickups are the best I've used. Completely hand built. I've got two sets, not easy to find.

Fred Stuart Blackguard tele pickups. (bottom of page).

http://www.virtualvintageguitars.com/stuartcustomguitars0001.html

Both of these guys came from the Fender Custom shop and were master builders. The Hamels are around $250 a set, the Stuarts are $200.

Also Jason Lollar and O.C. Duff make great tele & strat pickups.

Get your mid pickup reverse wound so's you're humcanceling in the in between positons.

3. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    I've had great results with Lollar's pickups in the application that you mention. Also, check out Chubtone. Wonderful pickups wound to your needs. An ideal match could also be the neck and mid from the above makers and a Seymour Duncan or Fender Custom Shop bridge pup from their Broadcaster sets.
    Peace,
    Dave

4. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

What is the chubtone website?

5. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

i just completed switching mod for a customer who had fender texas specials installed in his tele..i have to say that it's one of the best sounding tele's i've ever played.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

Call Jason Lollar!!! Tell him what you have and what you want. You will get it from him!!!!

7. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Thanks guys, this is the reason this forum is such a good resource! I've been leaning towards the Suhr pickups because I know and like the sound, but guys like Jason Lollar really have my interest due solely to comments on this board. Knowing me, I'll build the thing and still end-up trying tons of different pickups; I'm just asking you guys to help separate the wheat from the chaff.
    On a side topic: Any of you folk know why Callaham's Tele 3-saddle bridge is fifty bucks cheaper than the Barden bridge sold by Allparts? Am i missing a bet here? This guitar is being built as a Tone Monster; I don't care what stuff costs if it has The Tone.
    Thanks again for all the input!-Eric

8. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

The prices on the allparts site are retail. Subtract 25% for actual price from an allparts dealer. So that would make it a little closer in price. If your into those fancy bridges you should check out www.glendaleguitars.com stuff. I don't have his bridgeplate on my partscaster(mine cost $7.99 from MF :D) but I have his saddles and they work great.

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

OC Duff pickups are killer. Glendale saddles are killer.

10. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

A big plus one on this. Jason's pickups are outstanding. I have not heard the Hamel or Stuarts, but from every positive post I've read, I'm sure they would be killer. Hamels have an incredibly long wait. Check out the threads on the TDPI for ordering horror stories. Stuarts seem to be in stock at several places.

Still, for my money, Lollars are hard to beat. Vintage wind, his 52's or Specials...they are all good. Plus, you can actually talk to the man himself about your tonal needs. Quick turnaround, top quality and toneful, soulful pickups.

11. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I'll throw Voodoo pickups into the mix. Just put a TE60BR into my tele's bridge. Great tones, fat with clarity and twang to spare. My neck pup is a OC Duff and it's very nice too, vintage wound with smooth tones.

J

12. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I have been discussing a tele project via email with Jason. He has been very helpful and informative.

I am thinking about a tele special bridge (hotter standard), a P-90 neck, and a Chicago steel in the middle... that or another P-90. He has said he can make the set for me to match up with phase and output and would provide body diagrams and any other support needed.

Very good stuff.

His pickups are tremendous too.