New PRS: 3-way toggle switch that fits the existing rotary pot hole?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ARch, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ARch

ARch Member

I updated the topic to reflect the real need here: a 3-way toggle that doesn't require reaming/drilling. Links appreciated!

I just picked up a beautiful '01 CE-22 in a trade right here on these forums, and while I love the guitar and the tonal options, I'd like to have the ability to select both buckers at once. I use the single sounds rarely enough that I think relegating them to a push/pull option on the volume dial would be sufficient for them as well.

Does anyone have a guide or other information for making this change? I know that the hole for the rotary switch will have to be enlarged and that does not bother me (yet). I just want to see what kind of wiring changes I'm up against.

Also, does anyone have an estimate for what they think a guitar tech might charge for changing the switching? I expect it will involve arms and legs, but I'll definitely weigh out the option.

And of course, this thread is worthless without pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The flame!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

The change in wiring is pretty easy, but the hole for the switch will need to be reamed out to fit the 3 way toggle.

3. ARch

ARch Member

What does that entail exactly?

4. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

The tone pot will have to swapped for a DPDT push/pull pot for the coil split options. I'm guessing you have the stock PRS HFS/Vintage Bass pickups installed, so they will be four conductor. This is a fairly simple job for any guitar tech.
    As for the pickup selector...
    The rotary switch is a good bit smaller in diameter than a normal 3 way toggle and will have to be enlarged. I recommend you take this to good guitar tech or luthier who who has the proper tools to do this easily. Otherwise, the finish could crack around the hole.
    The other possibility is to find a on/on/on mini toggle that would be small enough fit the hole without alteration. Many older PRS guitars had this in place of the standard 3 way toggle.

5. Resonant Alien

Resonant Alien Member

You can buy a drop-in PRS McCarty wiring kit, complete with pre-wired pots and the 3 way that will fit the hole without body modification. Google around, you'll find them. It is a PRS part. It's easy that way.

jm9239 likes this.
  6. ARch

ARch Member

I found one that already sold here:
    http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57745

If anyone knows of others for sale or a dealer that would be great! I don't mind using a smaller 3-way either.

7. ARch

ARch Member

Anyone else find any of these drop-in kits?

8. mike80

mike80 Member

Find a local PRS dealer and have them order you one. They are drop in replacements, but the hole for the rotary switch still needs enlarged.

That would probably cost more than just having a tech do the wiring. If you buy a 3 way toggle and a DPDT push-pull 500K pot, all that's left is for the tech to unsolder and re-solder some connections.

Here is the schematic for the McCarty switching: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom3waytoggle.pdf

9. ARch

ARch Member

Well, the one that was linked sold for $40 used, and that seems plenty fair to me vs. the time I'd spend soldering...

10. ARch

ARch Member

It looks like RS Guitarworks offers a drop-in, and I loved their hardware in my LP. I'll check with my PRS dealer and see what they have, too.

I suppose the only thing I'm looking for now is a 3-way toggle that fits the existing hole. Any luck there?

11. 85db

85db Member

If you found one, please do let us know. I'm looking for one too.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the PRS pots are really nice (and expensive, like $20-$30 each), and some of the few high-quality super-easy turning ones to be found. RS pots are way stiffer.

it's an easy mod. most newer PRSi even have a channel routed in the body to perfectly fit a right-angle switchcraft toggle. all that's needed is to slightly ream out the hole for the switch to fit through.

(oh, and when you're done, send me the tone pot; they make terrific easy-turning volume pots.)

13. 85db

85db Member

The question is whether a toggle switch with a thinner shaft exists. If I have to enlarge the hole in my vintage PRS, I'd rather keep the 5-way switch in.

14. captain_bob

captain_bob Member

I had the hole enlarged in a couple of my PRSi. Best mod ever for those two guitars.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the hole has to be widened by a very slight amount. i wouldn't worry about it, as you could still put the original rotary back in.

16. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Bumping this almost 10-year-old thread to ask the same question.

My CE22 needs a volume pot swapped, so I figured while I was in there, I’d swap out the rotary for a toggle. Any new info on this?