New PRS SE Bernie Marsden with Badly Twisted Neck

VDeuce

Just got a new PRS SE Bernie Marsden but instantly noticed the headstock is severely twisted, so this one's going back to the dealer and I would assume then on to PRS.

Thought I'd share the pics. These are take with the guitar on its back on a flat, level table. You can see the headstock badly twisted to the right as viewed.

Too bad, the guitar is otherwise very nice, but I can't keep a guitar with a bad neck twist... :messedup

While PRS quality is indeed excellent on the SE line, this one must have either slipped past inspection or twisted sometime after manufacturing. Guess it can happen to all builders. This is my third Bernie and I really do like these guitars (just wish this one would have been fine)!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Wow that's not good.:messedup You can clearly see the twist in those photos especially from looking at where the headstock ends up in relationship to the guitar body. Is the twist as obvious sighting down the neck from the guitar body? You have to wonder how that made it past any kind of QC check?

halgrind

What happened to your first two?

At a guess I'd say maybe the guitar was out in sub-freezing temperatures when it was shipped, that can really warp the wood.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
Wow that's the most severe neck twist Ive seen.

No way that left PRS like that.

84superchamp

who's yer
Gold Supporting Member
i've been very impressed with the SE line (i own a single cut) but never saw a twist that bad.

Funny -- well tragic -- but funny.

I happened to be in GC today during lunch and was playing some PRS SE models. I've been a little bummed with my tone lately and was thinking a PRS may do it for me. I need to do some looking and thinking!

VDeuce

Wow that's not good.:messedup You can clearly see the twist in those photos especially from looking at where the headstock ends up in relationship to the guitar body. Is the twist as obvious sighting down the neck from the guitar body? You have to wonder how that made it past any kind of QC check?
Yes, that twist is immediately obvious even just holding the guitar as a cursory inspection. :mad: Thing is, it sounds fantastic, great weight at 8.1 pounds, nice top.

VDeuce

Funny -- well tragic -- but funny.

I happened to be in GC today during lunch and was playing some PRS SE models. I've been a little bummed with my tone lately and was thinking a PRS may do it for me. I need to do some looking and thinking!
I'll tell you what, I really love Les Paul's but lately have a taste for something else, and these Bernie's are fantastic guitars in the same vein.

ewheel

What in the heck causes a neck twist like that? Assuming it left PRS in good shape, would it be due to being in a severe environment?

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
That's a shame. Hope you get it worked out. I'm sure the dealer or PRS will fix it.

Had a Bernie myself. Enjoyed it very much.

kbgear

My guess is that this was a chunk of wet wood that slipped through the factory, looked fine at PRS, and warped while it dried in dealer stock.

Yeah, that's the most warped neck I've ever seen, comic even. This is one of those times when proving there's a problem with a guitar won't be an issue. ;)

VDeuce

Yeah I have never seen anything as bad as that one. I've had plenty of guitars (literally hundreds as I used to be a dealer - not PRS though) shipped to me in all sorts of weather conditions and after proper acclimation time, never seen a twist on any of them. Now breaks due to shipping are a different story, lol!

Tito83

What is the most absurd thing is that you say it plays well. From the photos alone I'd say it would be impossible to make it playable, let alone play "well".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom