new prs's worth the money?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jayjaytuner, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jayjaytuner

jayjaytuner Member

Considering on ordering a new prs custom 24, i'v heard alot of ppl say the newer ones just aint the same as the older ones, i know the early first year ones were made with more quality control..anywho they worth the money ya guys think? can't really afford to blow 7 grand on a 1986.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Old v. new PRSi is a topic that's been discussed and debated often here and on BAM over the past several years. Without going back into it again now (use the Search function to find the older threads), the answer to your question about the new ones is do you think they're worth it? If yes, that's all that matters, really. Personally, I think when you put the basic guitars (not necessarilly the top of the line'ers) up against equivalent Gibsons and other guitars, they're quite competitive, value-wise.

3. jayjaytuner

jayjaytuner Member

i'v played a few in the past, they are works of art, i think im gonna go ahead & order the custom 24 artist package with the quilt top:)

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Well, it you're wondering about Cu 24s specifically, I'm clueless. But if you mean in a more general sense, I'll add this. I've owned 4 high end PRSi, and beautiful and flawless as they were, I could never bond with them. Then I bought a Modern Eagle. Different story, and a different bird IMO. Don't know it it's the new nitro finish, the Brazilian neck, the pups, wood, etc., but this one has that mojo I'd never found in them before...in spades. So in this case for me, yes, it was well worth it. AC

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

The new ones suck since they have the big neck heel :D :D :p

Sorry, had to say it!!!! I owned an '88 Custom 24 and played many new PRSi and they all felt and played great. I say order away.

6. Radax

Radax Member

I have a 2002 CU 24 AP TigerEye Quilt. A Fine player too! IMHO PRS still has the most consistant quality control of the Major Manufacturers. Consistant playability (is that a word?) The APs feel good and look GREAT. Happy Shopping.
    Mike

7. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

i had a 2003 artist CU 22 quilt...wide/thin.....it was ok

i sold it, so it wasnt that great

8. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Har!! Well being one of the old-school guys, I don't like the newer neck heel. Rumour is that Paul is, or already has considered, a change back to the normal sized heel. I hope he does.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Old/New...yadda yadda. UNless you HAVE to have pups they don't make anymore, it comes doewn to weather or not the guitar floats your boat.

Best PRS I own is an 04 Custom 22. Followed closely by a 1990 Studio Mapletop 24.

They're ALL good.

10. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Fit/finish/playabilty/weight and tone is what intially sold me.
    Compare the 22/24 fret models to see what fits your needs in terms of tone and needing the extra frets. There is a difference.
    Prices vary of course depending on the model, alot of bang for the buck IMO.
    Best of luck finding the one for you!

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I think they are the best production guitar made. Great quality, playability, finish, etc....

I have 2 1996 models and 1 2000. Great guitars. I say this having many custom guitars made for me in the past. The one thing I would say is to check here for a used one as prices here on TGP seem to be some pretty good deals.

Have fun shopping!!!:)

12. amper

amper Member

Talk about smacking the deceased equine...

You will find a selection of PRS guitars at every Guitar Center and Sam Ash store across the land, (not to mention any number of other, finer outets) assuming you're in the good ol' USA. Go to a store, or five, and play some...then decide for yourself.

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

They're not my cup of tea, although I owned and played out with 4 or 5 of them, they have a certain feel that some guitarists love..My older PRS's were better feeling guitars than the newer ones I owned. Personally, I'd buy a Heatley, Hamer, Thorn, McNaught, Gyros, ______ fill in the blank for many other great custom builders that can do what PRS can't.....and that is build handmade guitars 1 at a time

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    How do you know the first year ones were made with more quality control?

16. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

Yeah, what's up with THAT? PRS quality is miles above any other big maker. Paul is constantly refining his instruments.:JAM

17. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

Okay.. I had a 86 Custom..traded it for a Santana 1 , #55 of first 100. The 86 was a nice guitar, but when it came down to it, I didn't like the way it sounded, so I traded it away. I gig with a 2000 (I think) Mccarty rosewood and a Santana 3. I love the sound of both of those guitars. Finish is better on those guitars than the 86 or my 87 standard. I think that the R&D has made beter sounding guitars, and CNC has made more consistant guitars. The 86 and 87 are collectibles....Want do you want?

18. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

19. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I like PRS guitars. I think the basic models are worth it. I don't think the Artist package, bird inlays or the 10 top are. They're just cosmetic fluff that don't add anything to the sound or playability of the guitar.

20. david eaton

david eaton Member

I received (about a month ago) a 20th Anniv. Singlecut, 10-top quilt. The thing is a work of art. Fit, finish, cosmetics are great, but don't compare to the way the guitar plays. I really like PRS guitars (nothing against other guitars, I'm just a PRS guy) and I feel like I got a bargain on all the ones that I have purchased.

What was said above about playing one and deciding if you think it is worth it is the best advice.