New pup configuration, how can I select the right value for tone pot?

Ellery

I am adding a 3rd humbucker (DT-555 style) to my 84 Ibanez x-series Destroyer. When I replace the tone pot and capacitor, should I use the same values as the original or use something different, since I will have a different number of pickups? Also, the volume pots are 500k, should I keep that or change that too? Any advice would be appreciated, thanx!:)

AdmiralB

How do you plan to wire it up? Use the old tone pot (or at least its location) as a volume, so that the pickup is always 'on' - and you just roll it in and out with the pot?

AdmiralB

either way, yeah, stick with 500k audio tapers for everything.

I can't agree with that. Yes, 500 for the tone. But if the middle is going to be on its own volume, always 'on' so to speak, then I would use 1M for all of them, to preserve the original loading.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I can't agree with that. Yes, 500 for the tone. But if the middle is going to be on its own volume, always 'on' so to speak, then I would use 1M for all of them, to preserve the original loading.
the loading won't change! if it was three 500k pots before it'll be the same. that they're all volumes rather than two volumes and a tone won't change that.

also, i hate the separate volume non-switched thing; you have to wire the volumes "backwards" or turning one off kills the whole signal, and once you do that the tone and sweep are compromised. you also can't quickly switch between settings anymore, sometimes having to turn a volume down and throw the toggle to get where you want.

i vote keeping it regular two vol-one tone, and make one knob a push-pull to switch between the neck and the middle and send the result of that switch to the regular neck volume pot.

that way, push-pull down=stock two pickup operation, while push-pull up gets you two new sounds, either M by itself or M+B.

all the pots work with the right sweep and tone, and the best part is that no matter what else is going on, slamming the toggle back always gets you the bridge by itself.

AdmiralB

the loading won't change! if it was three 500k pots before it'll be the same. that they're all volumes rather than two volumes and a tone won't change that.

Is this not a dual volume/dual tone setup?

I originally wrote out an explanation, but if this is a V/V/T setup then you're right, and...never mind!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom