New Purchase Help

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by monte, Jan 30, 2008.

1. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

Hi guys...just fishing for some opinions on a potential purchase. I may be looking for a 3 single coil strat. Here is my list of what I like, please let me know some opinions.

1. Suhr Clapton replica $2.4K
    2. Anderson 2 tone tobacco classic $2.5K
    3. Rice Clapton replica $2.0K
    4. Fender Clapton $1.2K

I love Suhrs. Also like Andersons. Never played a Rice, but they look like they have some great mojo and as far as Fender, not sure because I don't hear enough good things about them...but Clapton plays one :)

Also, resale is always a bit important to me.
    Thanks
    Monte

2. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Hi Monte, Ypu chould play the Fender EC to see if you like the pups and electronics. They have their own thing going on.

Suhr and Anderson both make a pretty tight guitar,.

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

Love my Suhr and it's DYING to get those new FL pickups in it.....

Chris

4. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

I am in the process of having Rich build me a guitar and his communication and attention to detail is great. He will build you absolutely anything that you want, the options are endless. Pictures to go along with the build and always keeping in touch. I would have him build me another guitar in an instant.

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

All those are going to be different. Really depends what you are looking for.
    You want more modern I'd say Suhr
    You want even more modern, I'd say Anderson
    I have never played a Rice but I'd bet they lean towards the vintage side
    And the Fender is something I'd want to play before buying.

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    +1
    I'd also recommend playing the EC. It has noiseless pickups, an active mid-boost and a TBX tone control (which can either filter off highs or add presence/brightness). IME, you'll either love that combination or hate it.

With your concern about resale, if the EC works for you a used EC would not only get the job done at a fraction of the cost of the others, but offer the best resale value as well (buy used, play for free). The downside is you won't have the option to spec something like a neck profile that may be critical to you. The EC has a soft V neck profile, like this:

[​IMG]

Among the other 3 choices, there are likely no bad choices and each offers some degree of customization. They're all fine builders and any choice would depend more on your personal preference than any negatives on the part of the builder.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

7. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Don't forget Melancon.
    A used one will put a smile on your face.

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

The Anderson with the new VA5 pickups.

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

I highly recommend Rice Customs. They aren't as well known as Suhr and Anderson, but the quality in craftsmanship is definitely there.

10. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

Thanks so much guys! Alot of great opinions for all I mentioned and even one I didn't....I need to check out the Melancon.

Well....I have Suhrs, so I may stay away only to broaden my scope of guitars out there. Sounds like the Clapton may be along the lines of my old Samboras as far as pups and active boost....will probably avoid it ans look for a straight strat sound.

That leaves me with Anderson and Rice. The price of the Anderson came down to $2200..not bad for a brand new 2007 model...has everything I like too.

But a part of me wants a strat is that is old feeling like a Rice appears to be..you know that old friend feel.

I will kick it around some more today and this weekend. I just need the stock market to return some of my money :)

Thanks again to all.
    Monte

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy