• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

New PU's for my Les Paul?

CHyde

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the pickups in me tele. Now I'm wondering if I should also upgrade my LP. It's an '05 Standard and is stock. I haven't had any problems with it but have been suggested that some better pickups would bring it to life. Thoughts?

I really like the classic LP sound. Not wanting to depart from that. Thanks.

jcoggins7

If you're fine with the way it sounds, you don't need to swap them. However, I think there are many much better alternatives to the stock Burstbucker Pros they put in the Standards (yuck). The other Burstbuckers (1,2,3) are much better IMO. Even better to me are the Dimarzio 36th Ann. PAFs, and various boutique brands, including WCR.

CHyde

Thanks. Just thinking since the stock ones are all I know I may be missing out just because I don't know any better.

billstets

I believe those Burstbucker Pros have alnico 5 magnets, vs the alnico 2 magnets in the regular Burtsbuckers or a lot of the boutique PAF style pickups. So the Burstbucker Pros are probably hotter and brighter than what you'd get if you switched.

VintageKnob

Silver Supporting Member
I've got an R7 that plays like butter, but the electronics were pretty sad,
First I replaced the electronics with an RSGuitarWorks vintage kit.

I played it a couple of months with the stock BB's. They sounded better but I knew something was missing.

I had a set of HighOrder pickups made for me per my spec that I was kind of guessing at. He hit it exactly, but after a month or so I could tell I was after something else.

I decided I had such a good result with my Suhr Strat style pickups that I'd give his a shot. I put in a set of SSV's with nickel covers.

I love them! They've got a great wide spectrum of tone. I play tweeds allot and with the BB's when I'd roll off the volume they would get really dull. The SSV's give a great tone at all volumes, when rolled off it warms up without getting dull. I really like them.

The Suhr's were a good bet.

HTH

- DStefani

CHyde

I've got an R7 that plays like butter, but the electronics were pretty sad,
First I replaced the electronics with an RSGuitarWorks vintage kit.

I played it a couple of months with the stock BB's. They sounded better but I knew something was missing.

I had a set of HighOrder pickups made for me per my spec that I was kind of guessing at. He hit it exactly, but after a month or so I could tell I was after something else.

I decided I had such a good result with my Suhr Strat style pickups that I'd give his a shot. I put in a set of SSV's with nickel covers.

I love them! They've got a great wide spectrum of tone. I play tweeds allot and with the BB's when I'd roll off the volume they would get really dull. The SSV's give a great tone at all volumes, when rolled off it warms up without getting dull. I really like them.

The Suhr's were a good bet.

HTH

- DStefani
Interesting. I'll look into it.

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
Wolfetone Dr. V has been my favorite pickup in a Les Paul. That said, I really like Lollar Imperials too.
Suhr SSV/DSV are my favorite pickups in strat style guitars, I have yet to put them in a Lester.

Trending Topics