• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New QSC K2 firmware - protect mode 4

SarasotaSlim

I feel for all the pain I'm hearing in this thread. I had evaluated QSCs and went with EAW RSX boxes (RSX126's and 129's). They have worked flawlessly, have a great app you can run on an IPad, and sound fantastic. They are more expensive than QSC equivalents, but one botched gig causes more long term cost. Pay now or pay later. Another alternative worth a look are Yammie's DZR series - these are exceptional! I would have bought these if they had been available when I made my EAW purchase, though not worth switching out at this time.
I would love to side by side compare some of these more expensive types. 2 things stand out when reading the specs of all these types - price and weight. The QSC K series is cheaper and they weigh less.

alsaloky

I would love to side by side compare some of these more expensive types. 2 things stand out when reading the specs of all these types - price and weight. The QSC K series is cheaper and they weigh less.
I I did my extensive eval and put all the relevant (to us) features in a spreadsheet, the QSC K.2 family for mains and monitors, and the KS112 were the winners. Obviously not in every possible category, but I was I comparing QSC, EV, and TurboSound powered units against our faithful unpowered TurboSound/QSC amp setup. I was looking for about the same SPL and freq range for big band (that's an important influence on the priorities versus, like, rock, metal, etc.), then it had to be less weight, less cubic inches, and provide more flexibility in configuration (which, at the end of the day, I guess almost all powered speakers have over unpowered). We used to have 2 x 18" subs, 4 x 12" monitors, and 2 x 12" mains. We went to 2 x KS112 12" subs, 5 x K8.2 8" monitors, and four K10.2s that act as mains or satellites when we're in larger outdoor or 'odd' indoor settings. My sound engineer transports everything EXCEPT two of the K10.2 that I keep on hand to cart to rehearsals when one of our vocalists is scheduled.

So, we shed over 130 lbs and almost 11 cubic feet for what my sound guy shleps, gaining our vocal new vocal monitor and a ton of flexibility. I obviously have a little more to tote to some gigs to add the two extra K10.2s, but at every one of our summer concerts this year (when we used both the K10.2s or the EVs when the K10.2s were untrusted or gone for repair) the satellites were a very worthwhile addition - these darned audiences just refuse to all sit in front of the band ;) And in all this we gained clarity (subjective, but a lot of audience feedback to that effect versus the old rig), (a lot) less weight to hoist up on tripods, smaller monitor footprint on stage, and less real estate for the subs. I had my doubts about the 12" subs, but they are GREAT for big band, with a separate mix of the low stuff like bass, kick, bass trombone, bari sax into them. Only 62 lbs. Very cool.

I love the 12" EVs we rented, but they are sooooo large and heavy compared to the K8.2s and K10.2s. I know there are other good names out there, too. I'm sure everyone has their own way to rank reviews when considering purchases.

Our last summer concert is this Sunday September 19th, which will also be the last opportunity to air out the K10.2s, hopefully making it two flawless gigs in a row. We'll be completely open air - no roof, sides, or back wall. I will tell you that as much as I love the little K8.2, I'm needing to push them in these outdoor environments for all the various monitor mix needs. REALLY push them. By the way, besides the reduced weight and footprint, another consideration for us was their 105 degree dispersion - we can tuck sax monitors up closer to the sax section music stands, and the ones used as sidefills can be set back a little ways and reach the entire rhythm section stage right, and more of the end brass stage left.

As we get more experience with the whole QSC gaggle running all gig, in different acoustic environments, I'm sure we'll do more tweaking and learn as we go.

Geetarpicker

We shelved our K10.2 after a failed mode 4 repair at our local service center, as a "new amp module" didn't cure it. Next time going to send it directly to QSC for a mode 4 fix, just waiting a little longer to hear the reports. Until then our old K10 has been working fine, but looking forward to getting the new one fixed as it is a little stronger and clearer sounding, when it works.

Last edited:

SarasotaSlim

Dang - I could get used to this! My weekly tiki hut report is getting boring - another gig with no trouble - yea!

The spare parts page still lists the amp module as unavailable so my old one will be sitting in the repair shop forever.

We did a new gig in Tampa and the house PA had Turbosound monitors. They seemed a little weak but since I wasn't running it there's no way to tell what they would do when pushed - they wanted the band to be more wall paper than band. I just looked up the specs of both QSC and Turbo 10's and as I suspected the QSC's are smaller, louder and weigh less. Now I wanna hear some Yamaha's.

alsaloky

We had a second failure-free outdoor gig yesterday. Same conditions, using all four 10.2s. Two hours minus short intermission of running both pairs at 0+ - didn't check this time to see if the mains were a click or two higher. Not sure that means continues success at those levels, but anything else will be indoors for a while, and not sure we'll be sending a full board master mix slider into them for a while. All the gigs coming up are fairly small spaces or we're plugging into a house main PA. FYI, yesterday was totally open air stage, and we made all five 8.2s cranked, with more, or more channels, in the mixes than we may have ever used. Everyone except drums and keyboard was on this grass (not ideal, long story), which seemed to soak up lots of things. Saxes were craving overhead drum kit SM81s to keeping time. THAT's never happened before. Next planned use of system at a reception on Nantucket Island October 23rd. Long, kinda thin, very live hotel ballroom, playing to shallow wall (just the way the indigenous stage is built into venue). We'll be using the second pair of 10.2s but really only to get the toasts/speeches to reach guest tables at each end long end of the room.

SarasotaSlim

We had a second failure-free outdoor gig yesterday. Same conditions, using all four 10.2s. Two hours minus short intermission of running both pairs at 0+ - didn't check this time to see if the mains were a click or two higher. Not sure that means continues success at those levels, but anything else will be indoors for a while, and not sure we'll be sending a full board master mix slider into them for a while. All the gigs coming up are fairly small spaces or we're plugging into a house main PA. FYI, yesterday was totally open air stage, and we made all five 8.2s cranked, with more, or more channels, in the mixes than we may have ever used. Everyone except drums and keyboard was on this grass (not ideal, long story), which seemed to soak up lots of things. Saxes were craving overhead drum kit SM81s to keeping time. THAT's never happened before. Next planned use of system at a reception on Nantucket Island October 23rd. Long, kinda thin, very live hotel ballroom, playing to shallow wall (just the way the indigenous stage is built into venue). We'll be using the second pair of 10.2s but really only to get the toasts/speeches to reach guest tables at each end long end of the room.
Not sure how this is happening but we both had no problems - again - yay! The weekly Monday night tiki hut gig went well again for the 3rd or 4th week in a row. Now if the worker bees at the factory could just start making new amp modules I could get my older dead one back. Some day I'll figure out a way to monitor the voltage at a gig to see if it's dropping into the ridiculously low zone. The tech dept seems to bring that up as the most likely culprit that triggers the Protect Mode 4 issue. I have a volt meter but someone would have to be watching it full time to see when it dips.

MyannaP

Add me as well to the list of frustrated buyers of the QSC K10.2. I have used mine twice for live sound reinforcement (low level), and both times, the speaker went into protect mode and shut down multiple times. There was no overloading or heat issues. I have started a ticket with QSC, and have my fingers crossed for a positive response and result from them.

SarasotaSlim

Add me as well to the list of frustrated buyers of the QSC K10.2. I have used mine twice for live sound reinforcement (low level), and both times, the speaker went into protect mode and shut down multiple times. There was no overloading or heat issues. I have started a ticket with QSC, and have my fingers crossed for a positive response and result from them.

Please report back here if and when you reach a resolution with QSC or if they somehow fix themselves. All the new class D amps are weird. Right now I'm having issues with a Markbass bass head - when it rains it pours.

DareDevil01

Has anyone here tried the Yamaha DZR series. I ended up buying them over the K.2 purely for the sound gains but it sounds like I made the right choice in more ways than 1. Being wooden boxes they are slightly heavier but they do have higher end neodymium drivers in them. A friend of mine has the 10s and absolutely loves them. I've only heard the 12s and 3-ways

SarasotaSlim

I'd like to hear the Yamahas - the specs and price are similar. A piano player friend has some and they sounded good but it was such a low volume gig it's hard to judge what they might act like when used to their limits.

SarasotaSlim

The DZR cost about 50% more On paper better specs also

Had to take another look at the specs. Some things are better and others are worse. At this point in time they're both made with unobtainium because you can't get either of them. They all seem to have the current "2000 watt" class D DSP power amps with minor differences in controlling the features. If we're to believe the specs - the Yamaha should be at least twice as loud as the QSC > 137 vs 130 db peak output. It's also 7.5 lbs heavier and list price is almost twice as much.

Tech Specs - Yamaha DZR10
  • Powered:Yes
  • Power Configuration:Bi-amped
  • Channels:2
  • LF Driver Size:10" Cone, 3" Voice Coil with Neodymium Magnet
  • HF Driver Size:2" HF Compression Driver, 1" Throat
  • LF Driver Power Amp:1000W Peak, 920W Continuous
  • HF Driver Power Amp:1000W Peak, 380W Continuous
  • Total Power:2000W Class D Peak, 1300W Continuous
  • Inputs:2 x XLR-1/4" combo (line in)
  • Outputs:2 x XLR (thru/output)
  • USB:1 x Type A
  • Frequency Range:44Hz-20kHz (-10 dB)
  • Crossover Frequency:1.8kHz
  • Maximum Peak SPL:137 dB SPL @ 1m
  • Horizontal Coverage Angle:90 Degrees
  • Vertical Coverage Angle:60 Degrees
  • Signal Processing:pEQ, Delay, Routing, 8 User Presets
  • Enclosure Material:plywood Cabinet with Polyurea Coating
  • Mounting Options:pole: 2 x 1.37" (35mm) socket; Fly: 8 x M10, 2 x M8; Floor Wedge
  • Power Source:Standard IEC AC cable
  • Height:21.1" (with feet)
  • Width:12.4"
  • Depth:13.6"
  • Weight:39.5 lbs.
  • Manufacturer Part Number:DZR10
Tech Specs - QSC K10.2
  • Channels:3
  • LF Driver Size:10" woofer
  • HF Driver Size:1.4" titanium compression driver
  • LF Driver Power Amp:1800W
  • HF Driver Power Amp:225W
  • Total Power:2000W
  • Inputs:2 x XLR-1/4" combo (mic/line), 1 x 1/8" (aux stereo in)
  • Outputs:2 x XLR (thru), 1 x XLR (mix out)
  • Frequency Range:50Hz-20kHz
  • Frequency Response:56Hz-20kHz
  • Maximum Peak SPL:130 dB SPL @ 1m
  • Signal Processing:EQ, Delay, Dynamics, User Scene Presets, Crossover
  • Enclosure Material:ABS plastic enclosure with 18 AWG steel grille
  • Mounting Options:pole Mount with 1.37" socket, Floor Wedge, 2 x M10 Fly Points
  • Height:20.4"
  • Width:12.6"
  • Depth:11.8"
  • Weight:32 lbs.
  • Manufacturer Part Number:K10.2

modulusman

Had to take another look at the specs. Some things are better and others are worse. At this point in time they're both made with unobtainium because you can't get either of them. They all seem to have the current "2000 watt" class D DSP power amps with minor differences in controlling the features. If we're to believe the specs - the Yamaha should be at least twice as loud as the QSC > 137 vs 130 db peak output. It's also 7.5 lbs heavier and list price is almost twice as much.

• Mounting Options:pole: 2 x 1.37" (35mm) socket; Fly: 8 x M10, 2 x M8; Floor Wedge
Tech Specs - QSC K10.2
  • Mounting Options:pole Mount with 1.37" socket, Floor Wedge, 2 x M10 Fly Points
10db is twice as loud not 7. Sweetwater has 2 DZR10 in stock. DZR10 lists for about $1200.00. The QSC is about $750.00.

SarasotaSlim

10db is twice as loud not 7. Sweetwater has 2 DZR10 in stock. DZR10 lists for about $1200.00. The QSC is about $750.00.

Interesting - When I looked earlier today they were not available. Would like to A>B>C between the QSC>YAMAHA>RCF.
I've always heard that 3db more will be twice as loud - whatever - the Yamaha's should be noticeably louder - and heavier - and cost more... Anyone in my area wanna bring one out to KaTiki on a Monday so we can compare it to the QSC K10.2? Happy too report that both made it through tonight without screwing up - yeah!

Mr Jones

Gonna just talk to myself and bump this to see if anyone else has had an issue with the latest firmware protection circuit > PROTECT MODE 4

The keyboard player has a pair he bought new a couple of years ago and he pounds them with keys as his personal stereo monitors - no problems. I bought a pair about a year ago to use as a small PA or monitors - no problems. So then I bought a brand new pair and they have the latest firmware and now there's a problem. They trip the PROTECT MODE 4 thing and shut down at 3 different gigs under normal use - each time I quickly traded them out with the older models and continued on with no problems. My guess is the newest firmware has the new PROTECT MODE 4 to help protect against DJ damage - DJ's destroy everything - but it's too easily triggered. What are the chances of me having 2 brand new defective speakers?!

Has anyone else bought brand new QSC K.2 series and had issues with the PROTECT MODE 4 ???

The store that sold them has issued a refund so that's not the issue.

I have a pair of the K 8.2s that have never given me any problems.
One was new earlier this year, though I am not sure when it was actually made, the other a year or so older.
According to QSC it is only the 10s that they insist must be upgraded, the 8s and 12s upgrades are only 'recommended.'
Having read this I will avoid updating my firmware for the time being. Thank you for the heads up.

What is this new hell they have installed with the latest firmware versions of all the QSC K2 series speakers?! I found this bit of joyful information on their website regarding the latest firmware and the new protection warning that shuts down the speaker -

"The PROTECT MODE 4 message can appear during operation. This indicates that the firmware has detected a potential issue. If this occurs, audio will stop and the listed procedure will be needed to clear the message.
If the message appears repeatedly during operation, the speaker will need to be sent to a QSC Authorized Service Center for evaluation."

Previous versions of QSC K10.2 with the earlier firmware have been reliable workhorses - the new protection in the latest firmware on 2 new speakers just bought have me flustered - used in the same manner as my older ones they go into protect mode and turn off - repeatedly.

Anyone else having this issue yet?
I work for a retailer that sells QSC and besides the terrible supply chain issues, we’ve also had an awful string of bad k2s. Specifically the k10.2. I have one that’s been in for service 3 times and the last time it came in it shot fire out of the back of it. I also own a pair of them and my k10 shut down on a gig as a monitor last night. Asked me to play a 100hz tone through it and asked if the tone was clear and undistorted. I read it wrong (because I’m busy playing a ****ing gig) and selected yes and it said “please take to a service center” and shut off. I don’t care how great they sound, I will be selling these as soon as I find something to replace them with.

Tech Specs - QSC K10.2
Who gives a damn about specs - does the Yamaha shut off without warning during a gig? No? Great, it’s immediately better than the K10.2. (I’m being slightly sarcastic and bitter about a gig last night, no offense intended)

SarasotaSlim

Who gives a damn about specs - does the Yamaha shut off without warning during a gig? No? Great, it’s immediately better than the K10.2. (I’m being slightly sarcastic and bitter about a gig last night, no offense intended)

It will be interesting to find out what the true cause of this is. Originally I blamed it on the latest firmware but it could be a combination of firmware and component that somehow triggers it. It's incredibly annoying because we've all wound up here because the previous versions were a great bang for the buck with very few problems. What I've started to realize through all of this is that all the new class D amps are weird. They will give up the ghost for no apparent reason without warning. Just had a MarkBass head take a dump out of nowhere.

It will be interesting to find out what the true cause of this is. Originally I blamed it on the latest firmware but it could be a combination of firmware and component that somehow triggers it. It's incredibly annoying because we've all wound up here because the previous versions were a great bang for the buck with very few problems. What I've started to realize through all of this is that all the new class D amps are weird. They will give up the ghost for no apparent reason without warning. Just had a MarkBass head take a dump out of nowhere.
I rarely ever saw the first versions of the k speakers have issues. Basically never. I’ve got 3 k2s waiting to get sent out for service currently at our store. Very disappointing! We have some of the new DZRs on order, curious to hear how they sound!

SarasotaSlim

I rarely ever saw the first versions of the k speakers have issues. Basically never. I’ve got 3 k2s waiting to get sent out for service currently at our store. Very disappointing! We have some of the new DZRs on order, curious to hear how they sound!
I wanna try the DZRs too but it's hard to tell at a big box store. You really need to try them on a gig. If you don't mind - try to remember to report back here when you use them and give your opinion compared to the QSC K.2 series.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom