New Quilter Aviator Cub?

Barquentine

Yes- I found it somewhat shrill to start off with. But it didn't take long for it to dissipate. I bet if you played it two hours a day for about a week, you'd get most of that shrillness out.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Are you enjoying the amp?

YPG

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Are you enjoying the amp?

I love it. My needs are pretty simple. If I plug into it and want to keep playing, that's all that matters to me sound-wise. I've played on all three inputs and really liked the sounds I've been getting. It's so convenient for rehearsals and gigs as well. I wish I had a second one for a stereo rig, to be honest.

I have three great sounding tube amps and they sit around most of the time because the Quilter is just so damned fun and versatile.

DGA

Sorry for the endless questions but - I've read that the Cub sounds a lot better after the speaker has broken in. How do you go about doing this and how long does it take? The shop I'm looking to buy from has a 14 day return policy.
I'm breaking in my MACH 3 as I type this. I've got my laptop running into the effects return and playing music at moderate volume.

Barquentine

I got a splitter cable to run two inputs of the Cub. It works brilliantly and all the combinations produce wonderfully different tones. It's obvious why the amp has three inputs rather than a switch. If you haven't tried this yet you really must. Cost me less than £5. Clever man, Mr Quilter.

YZ0

I'm a novice player that picked up this amp given all of the praise here and nice sounding demos. I love the cleans, which covers 95% of my needs as I learn to play. The amp obviously gets into nice overdrive sounds, but for those occasions where my lessons take me into learning a heavier rock riff (e.g., Enter Sandman), will the Cub do well with high(er)-gain sounds with the right pedal or multi-fx unit in front of it? I'd love to keep things simple with this lightweight amp and single pedal or two for my bedroom playing. Thanks!

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm a novice player that picked up this amp given all of the praise here and nice sounding demos. I love the cleans, which covers 95% of my needs as I learn to play. The amp obviously gets into nice overdrive sounds, but for those occasions where my lessons take me into learning a heavier rock riff (e.g., Enter Sandman), will the Cub do well with high(er)-gain sounds with the right pedal or multi-fx unit in front of it? I'd love to keep things simple with this lightweight amp and single pedal or two for my bedroom playing. Thanks!

Yes, absolutely. I run a Barber Direct Drive v4 out in front of the Cub, sounds great and it’s easy

Reactions: YZ0

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member

Yes, Quilters are known for taking pedals well and you can even stack drives to get a heavier tone if needed. I'm currently running my Aviator Gold 12 with the JRAD Blue Note and The Dude. I have the drive on the amp just shy of 12 o'clock and use the Blue Note to add a little more oomph to the clean tone, then kick on The Dude for a creamy "Woman Tone" inspired drive sound.

What's so great about these is you can get such a nice tone at all volumes.

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
This looks a lot like what the Fender Tonemaster should have been. I also expect Quilter to have a better power section since they've spent more effort in it rather than just utilizing a stock ICEPower Class D poweramp.

The only thing I don't like is the 3 inputs for the different models. Why not just make that a 3 way switch or footswitchable? I have always hated switching cables between inputs.
Using a Y cable to use any combination of the 3 channels is pure magic. One of the best features of the amp. Blonde and black together is my favorite for cleans and Tweed and blonde for overdrive.

Blue Marvel

Using a Y cable to use any combination of the 3 channels is pure magic. One of the best features of the amp. Blonde and black together is my favorite for cleans and Tweed and blonde for overdrive.
Im going to have to try this, it might be pretty cool for me too. So far I am still totaly in love with the Cubs tone, loudness, and functionality. It blows away any other amps I've ever owned. This might be a bit of an overstatement but the Cub is the one thing in my life lately that has went right.

Last edited:

Zaboleqqq

Hello,

I'm a bedroom player. Mostly play using my crappy PC speakers connected to my scarlet solo interface or using Vox Adio Air GT which sounds nicer than my PC speakers or I'm using Boss Waza Air if everyone sleep but... I do not have fun using this equipment :(.

My room is quite small (10 square meters) and sometimes I play in living room (35 square meters) but mostly I'm a bedroom player, especially when I work like 8-10 hours in that room and I'm noodling or practicing scales between tasks.

Some people have suggested me this amp instead of Katana (which tone I don't like) or some other modelers like Fender Mustang or new Vox modeler.
It looks like a better option compared to some 5W amps (and cheaper!) like 68' Fender Vibro Champ Reverb or some Marshals(DSL-5cr) or Blackstar HT1-R. Was thinking about some other options like Orange Rocker 15 but they are old, don't have effect loops or headphone output.

I just want to be able to feel that amp as I never owned anything bigger than Vox Adio or THR but I'm afraid I won't be able to play at low volumes (not 95dB) or amp will just sound bad at low volumes.
1W sounnd more promising than some 5W option mentioned before by me. I understand that in case of this amp, I will not have problems which I would have with tube amps?

This amp is like buying interface and studio monitors but I'm not into mixing/djing, I just record something from time to time but often I do it in my teacher studio (but he use Kemper...).

I guess the question which I want to ask - should I buy it (I guess not that easy answer) and can it play on low vol so my wife will not kill me immediately because even as 1W, it will break windows :D.

Last edited:

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
My Cub is my quiet amp, and it ended a very long search for that position. I find it much more rewarding than either a THR or a low watt tube amp. It works even at very low volumes, because you can boost the bass quite a bit to deal with the Fletcher-Munson roll off. You'll likely want to get dirt from pedals, but that's par for the course in that setting.

Hello,

I'm a bedroom player. Mostly play using my crappy PC speakers connected to my scarlet solo interface or using Vox Adio Air GT which sounds nicer than my PC speakers or I'm using Boss Waza Air if everyone sleep but... I do not have fun using this equipment :(.

My room is quite small (10 square meters) and sometimes I play in living room (35 square meters) but mostly I'm a bedroom player, especially when I work like 8-10 hours in that room and I'm noodling or practicing scales between tasks.

Some people have suggested me this amp instead of Katana (which tone I don't like) or some other modelers like Fender Mustang or new Vox modeler.
It looks like a better option compared to some 5W amps (and cheaper!) like 68' Fender Vibro Champ Reverb or some Marshals(DSL-5cr) or Blackstar HT1-R. Was thinking about some other options like Orange Rocker 15 but they are old, don't have effect loops or headphone output.

I just want to be able to feel that amp as I never owned anything bigger than Vox Adio or THR but I'm afraid I won't be able to play at low volumes (not 95dB) or amp will just sound bad at low volumes.
1W sounnd more promising than some 5W option mentioned before by me. I understand that in case of this amp, I will not have problems which I would have with tube amps?

This amp is like buying interface and studio monitors but I'm not into mixing/djing, I just record something from time to time but often I do it in my teacher studio (but he use Kemper...).

I guess the question which I want to ask - should I buy it (I guess not that easy answer) and can it play on low vol so my wife will not kill me immediately because even as 1W, it will break windows :D.

YPG

I agree Crazyquilt. You can get good, natural feeling sounds out of this at low volumes. I don't play all that loud but I do think I probably play at a louder volume than you are describing. That's the way I like it. I don't get the same satisfaction from it at low volumes but I still find it good sounding and responsive.

My only major knock against the amp is the lack of a speaker out. I wish it had one. I have a little 8 inch Vox cab that sounds good and I wish I could try it with this amp. I bring this up because a smaller cab sounds like it would be nice in your scenario.

Have you looked into the Quilter SuperBlock US? I think it's the same amp types as the Cub but lower wattage and you can use it to power a small cab. That might be ideal for your situation.

Hello,

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
How's the reverb compared to Fender spring reverb?

It doesn't. It's a basic simulated room/hall type reverb, usable but nothing special, and no comparison to a real spring tank. I use a Keeley Hydra, which also gives me trem & a stereo out, so I can plug into 2 Cub inputs simultaneously.

Zaboleqqq

I agree Crazyquilt. You can get good, natural feeling sounds out of this at low volumes. I don't play all that loud but I do think I probably play at a louder volume than you are describing. That's the way I like it. I don't get the same satisfaction from it at low volumes but I still find it good sounding and responsive.

My only major knock against the amp is the lack of a speaker out. I wish it had one. I have a little 8 inch Vox cab that sounds good and I wish I could try it with this amp. I bring this up because a smaller cab sounds like it would be nice in your scenario.

Have you looked into the Quilter SuperBlock US? I think it's the same amp types as the Cub but lower wattage and you can use it to power a small cab. That might be ideal for your situation.

Question then which small cab? Something from Quilterlabs or are there better choices?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I got a splitter cable to run two inputs of the Cub. It works brilliantly and all the combinations produce wonderfully different tones. It's obvious why the amp has three inputs rather than a switch. If you haven't tried this yet you really must. Cost me less than £5. Clever man, Mr Quilter.
Do you find youself running two inputs simultaneously, or just toggling between them?

Barquentine

Do you find youself running two inputs simultaneously, or just toggling between them?

My honeymoon with the Cub is over and we are separating. All was fine until I got to turn it up to gigging levels and I did not like what I heard. I was hoping to run it in crunch territory and control it with guitar volume. It didn't work for me. It may be fine to use as a clean platform but I don't run my amps like that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom