New Randy Vincent Book PSA

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by StevenA, Apr 27, 2016.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

2. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I can't keep up lol, I have everything up to Line Games.

He sure has a lot of great stuff to say.

3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I bet its a nother killer.

Not sure about that digestive tract artwork, TMI on that one Randy.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

The 'for all instruments' is a great idea. There are several well-known 'guitar' books that have such great musical insight. Kudos to Randy for sharing with all the lesser instruments ;)

5. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

not new AFAIK. I looked at the TOC before...I couldn't tell if it had any new material.
    Honestly, I'm not sure why "line games" and "cellular" were targeted only at guitarists in the first place.
    It makes sense for his chord books, but those other books? not so much.

I think the "new" book is based on his "cellular" book. Based on the TOC and on what the link says in the synopsis. I seem to remember Randy talking about the project on a YT vid, (or maybe his website?) but I can't remember exactly...

6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The website says:

"..this adaption of Randy's last guitar-oriented book (The Cellular Approach) allows players on any instrument..."

So if you already have The Cellular Approach, you'll probably buy the same book again but in an all-instrument version, if you order this new book. That is my reading of the web page, anyway.

If any friends/students of Randy are here, feel free to correct me.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  7. dingusmingus

dingusmingus Member

Randy's books are really well suited to my approach to learning. I'm spending much of my time lately working through Line Games and Three-Note Chords.

I find I have to spend several months on a chapter of his books. I think it will be some time before I need to check out the Cellular Approach.

cubistguitar likes this.
  8. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Nothing wrong with taking your time, these treasures can be turned over and over many times. Much of cellular approach works with how my brain works and feels almost like an easy one to grasp, but I still haven't worked all the way thru.

Washburnmemphis and dingusmingus like this.
  9. dingusmingus

dingusmingus Member

I'm sure! I'm avoiding buying it so I don't get distracted from Line Games!

By the way, totally agree with you that the cover art leaves something to be desired. For the other ones too.

cubistguitar likes this.
  10. StevenA

StevenA Member

I have both and
    If I had to choose between Line Games and Cellular Approach, it would be CA.

11. dingusmingus

dingusmingus Member

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

12. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

Chapter 3 of Randy Vincent's "Three Note Voicings" begins with the sentence "For those of you who know everything about three-note triad voicing on the guitar (shouldn't everybody?)...
    Several months on a chapter?
    Several years in my case, and more to come, but it's been so worth it.

13. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

This is what I've wondered about that book for a long time. Does the chapter live up to that sentence? If so, I will probably pick it up. Just recently got The Cellular Approach...

14. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

I think that sentence was delivered tongue in cheek. He describes a method in that chapter to play open and closed voicings as two chords per set of strings that ascend right up the neck, in three keys which use all the different voicing types. It's a very clever way to demonstrate it, and really revealed my ignorance on the subject.
    I don't work out of the book everyday, as I'm not a professional musician, but just breaking things down to the bare essential 3 note chords has really opened up my ear. I used to grab a fistful of notes, using the book has really helped clean up my playing and made me more aware of good voice leading.

jamester likes this.
  15. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the response. Wish I could check this book out in person, but sounds like it's still more on the "fundamental" side of the tracks. Still might be worth checking out though, it's cool to see different player's approaches. Triads are so flexible, and it really gets good when going beyond the diatonic, into upper extensions and substitutions. I'd love to see a book where a player gets into their approach on that aspect, especially for comping and chord soloing...