New Recording, what do you think?

mrmatt1972

I did this yesterday. I read about and youtubed some different techniques to use with my ribbon mic while simultaneously delving into the delays on my Zoom G3, the result was a tryout of these ideas in the form of a Daniel Lanois song called Messenger. I'm never true to the original, and my "studio" is so low budget it is laughable, but I think it came out pretty well. Aside from the production, tell me if you think it needs a guitar intro solo, I'm torn about that.

https://matthewvanderburgh.bandcamp.com/album/new-stuff

Cheers,
Matt

(and happy thanksgiving)

jonathansuhr

Sounds like it could use some high-end clarity and a little less midrange. Drums could come up more too. Other than that, pretty good!

mrmatt1972

Very cool tune. I thought the snare was a little buried, but just my ears.
I have limited gear, the drums are one track from a Zoom G3. I thought about bringing it all up, but changed my mind repeatedly.

Sounds like it could use some high-end clarity and a little less midrange. Drums could come up more too. Other than that, pretty good!
I'll try that. I buried a little high end with hiss erasers and EQ to help rid me of some noise. I'll try to re EQ the whole mix and see how it turns out.

thanks for the input,

matt

jonnytexas

I have limited gear, the drums are one track from a Zoom G3. I thought about bringing it all up, but changed my mind repeatedly.

I'll try that. I buried a little high end with hiss erasers and EQ to help rid me of some noise. I'll try to re EQ the whole mix and see how it turns out.

thanks for the input,

matt
Well given your recording limitations I say great job!!

mrmatt1972

OK, here's a remix. Thanks to the 50 or so people who have taken the time to listen (and especially the 8 who listened to the whole song!) It's the "remix" but both versions are still up for comparison. I did add the intro, I changed the overall EQ (I was going to call this the "blanket off mix"), raised the drums a bit, and I upped the high background vocals a touch. Enjoy. Thanks all for the kind words, encouragement and constructive criticism.

http://matthewvanderburgh.bandcamp.com/album/songs-i-wish-i-wrote

Last edited:

mixwiz

I think the recording is nice. I would be curious to hear it with the vocal simplified. The double track is a little gimicky and the falsetto is a little distracting. A quiter, breathier vocal with just one track might be interesting. Just a thought.

mrmatt1972

I think the recording is nice. I would be curious to hear it with the vocal simplified. The double track is a little gimicky and the falsetto is a little distracting. A quiter, breathier vocal with just one track might be interesting. Just a thought.
Actually, there are 9 tracks of vocals, of which there are 2 x 3 tracks in a mid/side setup, my initial "scratch" vocal doubled so one track is effected and the other isn't, so really 3 separate takes spread around the stereo field. I felt a bit like Freddy Mercury, but I've come to the conclusion that I play guitar so I can have a good excuse to sing, so no regrets. I was initially thinking of a more simple (and breathy) vocal as you suggest, but I thought that was too close to the original.

Lanois is pretty particular about including the falsetto, he mocked the guys from the Tea Party when they didn't include it in their cover.

I'll try your suggestion though, I just need to borrow a better condenser mic from my friend.

Trending Topics