NEW Red Rocket - Douglas Fir top RocketMaster

Here's real pretty one, the new RocketMaster shape with some amazing wood going on. If you like it, let me know and we can design one just for you.

Port Orford Cedar body, with 200 year old Douglas Fir figured top, flame maple binding and black gold finish on the back

Port Orford Cedar neck with figured rosewood fingerboard, stainless frets, hand rubbed oil finish

Curtis Novak JM neck and CAT 5 bridge pickups, 16 total tones available through custom switching harness and custom carbon fiber switchplate.

Schaller Hannes graphite bridge, bone nut, Hipshot tuners

Amazing bell like tones and gained up crunch all available from one instrument, the new owner says it feels like soul candy! Perfectly balanced and right around 7 lbs!

Sold, but we can make one for you.

Thanks! The wood was a bit tricky to work with but sounds incredible, love the Hannes bridge, brings the whole thing alive.

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
After seeing this and the redwood tele in the emporium, TO ME - you make the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. I don't know if it's the choice of top w/ the binding or the fretboards, but MAN, I love the way they look!

j.s.tonehound

I saw this on the DAG site (along with that truly awesome sea foam sparkle!!)... just curious to know how the switches work if you could shed some light?

The switching is actually pretty simple in the way it works, the toggle works just like a normal one (Neck/both/Bridge). The bank of 4 switches only deal with the bridge pickup which is a Curtis Novak CAT 5 and based off of Andy Rothsteins wiring scheme. The CAT 5 pickup is basically 4 individual pickups wrapped around the same magnet core, one on top of the other, so the first is closest to the magnets, and the last is furthest away. They all have the same amount of winds and are around the same strength (about 4K each), but they all have different tones due to the distance from the core. The switches basically just turn each one of the four coils on or off and if two or more is on, they run in series and are hum cancelling. So basically the one pickup can have anywhere from a single coil with 4K to a humbucker with 16K and serious drive. Combined with a vintage styled neck Jazzmaster pup, you get some very interesting voicings. Hope that helps and wasn't too confusing, all I know is that it took a lot of burned fingers to figure it out...

j.s.tonehound

Cheers for the info. That sounds pretty radical indeed! Would love to hear some of those sounds.

EDIT: Just found some on the Rothstein website.... Fantastic!

Last edited:

Trending Topics