1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Reeves Custom 6 Just Arrived

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KOTR, Jun 5, 2006.

1. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

Just got a new Reeves Custom 6 head this week. I love this amp. I opted for the power scaling option and a Reeves 2x12 cab with the Reeves Vintage Purple speakers.

This is the home/studio amp I have been wanting for a long time. Killer british tones at low volume levels. At full power it is pretty loud but not so much that I can't crank it up in my house. The power scaling lives up to the promises on the London Power site. With minimal tweaking of the power scale and volume pots you can get true power tube distortion tone at VERY low volumes - barely audible volumes. It gets very close to many classic british tones with an R9 - Bluesbreakers, classic ZZ Top, Sabbath, Govt Mule, Cream. Takes pedals well also - OCD, 69 Fuzz, Teese Wah, & Mojo Vibe

This is an awesome Amp and Bill Jansen (owner of Reeves Amps) has been great to deal with - quick to reply to emails and always willing to answer questions.

Here's a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

3. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

Sorry but I don't have the equipment to easily record sound clips.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

KOTR, that looks awesome. I have one of the last Custom 6 combos and have loved that amp for all situations. No power scaling however. +1 on Bill being great to deal with. Enjoy!

5. Nativ H

Nativ H Member

Sweet.:AOK Does it do the Hiwatt thing or more like a Vox tone? I'm not up on that amp but I suspect EL84. Am I close?:D

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

EL84 and 12AX7. SS rectification. I'd say the clean to mid drive is Hiwatt and higher gain is Vox-ish IMO.

7. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

OMG that looks sweet.
    :AOK

8. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have to say, I've always been a combo guy (carry one thing, even if it's heavier, instead of two things). I'm betting the head through a 2x12 (instead of my single 12 combo) would sound much "bigger". I still don't understand why people haven't jumped onto this particular bandwagon. If my Custom 6 is any indication, these amps are really second to none.

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I was considering trying one of these out just for kicks. Just curious to why someone would opt for the powerscaling option on a 6 watt amp? Could it possibly be too loud? Just curious...

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

The Custom 6 can actually be pretty loud. I generally can't go above 2 o'clock un-mic'd with my current band, with a fairly loud drummer. And the other guitarist has a Fender Twin (not cranked obviously),

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Well, like most amps usually they really don't get any louder from 2 o'clock on they just overdrive more. Running yours at 2 o'clock is probably as loud as it gets.. Its hard to believe a 6 watt amp could be used in a live situation. I used to have a peavey classic 30 and though I could play with a drummer it certainly cut it close as far as been the dominate factor which IMO it should be.

13. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I love my Custom 6- Incredible amp. I would like to get a head to go with my 2X12 Reeves cab and had thought about going with the Custom 18 so I could get a little more "umph"- question- would I lose the tone I love in the Custom 6 if I went up to the 18 Watt head?
    Thanks~ and congrats!

14. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Congats! Thats a fine Looking Home addition!

Enjoy!!

15. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

if you don't mind me asking, how much is the Power Scaling option?

Thanks.