New Reinhardt Sultan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by klaetos, Sep 17, 2008.

1. klaetos

klaetos Member

This new little amp is posted online . Very interesting indeed. 2EL84 and 2 6V6. Now that puts about 3 of Bob's amps I would like to own someday.

Bob if you are looking in, can you footswitch the EL84 side to 6V6 side??

2. mmorse

mmorse Member

No. It's done by toggle switch. Although he tested the toggle while the amp is running with no issues, he advises to put the amp in standby before switching to be on the safe side.

3. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I hope Reinhardt checked into patent infrigement on that .

Did Bruce Egnater not just do that Exact same thing and was thretened by boogie and had to use a tube mix knob

4. Edmundo

Edmundo Member

This was one of the causes for the shipping delay of the new Rebel head. The Olympics didn't help, either.

5. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I was lucky enough to hear and briefly play one of the prototypes for this amp and it is an amazing amp!! loved the sound of both the EL84 and 6v6 sides...it has been several months and so I won't try to describe the tone in any real detail...very touch sensitive as is true of all of Bob's amps...I really really wanted one of these amps after just a few minutes playing on it! I am sure I will eventually get one of these and probably sooner than later...

Does anyone know if power scaling will be an option on this one? I think I did ask Bob about this back when I heard the amp but I can't remember if he will be offering it with the scaled valve option as he does with his other amps...

Eric

6. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Can anyone get a patent on putting different tubes in one amp? Or has it something to do with the circuit?

It's not like he named it the "Blue Sultan"

7. gtr37

gtr37 Member

You can definetly uses different tubes in a amp .I think the fact that there is a switch to change between them is too close to Mesa.'s progressive linkage/idea

Egnater rebel was a switch for 84/6v6 in the proto ,but it had to be changed on the production models to a blend knob

8. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I don't know... My Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 used 6v6 and EL84 and could toggle between them. I don't believe Fred is in trouble for making that amp- it's been available for years now. Totally different voice than what Bob is describing, though. I think Bob's is going to be waaaaay more aggressive than the D13 (which is more like Vox voicing). Bob makes awesome amps and I can attest to his build quality and customer service, as I bought a Reinhardt 18 last year.

9. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I was about to order a JRT 9/15 and then this had to come out. They should be quite different but I will need to get more info on the Sultan before I buy anything now. I guess I'll be giving Bob a call. Sometimes this stuff is far to difficult.

10. skhan007

Yeah, the 9/15 is a great amp- you just need to decide if you want bright chimey cleans and mid-gain break up, which is what that amp offers. I had to use a preamp boost pedal to get it into higher gain territory. Check out my Youtube clip of the 9/15 with the Duncan Twin Tube Classic- you can hear it for yourself.

Never having heard the Sultan, but being a fan of Bob's amps, I would suspect that it's a rock machine and would offer way more gain than the D13. Plus, I know the Sultan has 3 12ax7's, and the D13 does not.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Sultan definitely piqued my interest but right now .. no money for more amps ... unless I sell something!

12. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

awwwww...I want one!...but I'd have to sell my 18 and I don't know if I can bring myself to do it!

Bob, you sure know how to drive a guy nuts! :D (bless yer heart!)

13. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Patent infringement won't be an issue here. The Divided by 13 9/15 is also using the same idea with offering both poweramp sections. Bob is relly building some great amps.
    Rene

14. relix63

I listened to your 9/15 clips and you still got some pretty decent gain even without the Twin Tube. I'm pretty much a Strat guy but love LP type sounds so I always use a boost anyway. The 9/15 blew me away when I played it but the Sultan sounds so interesting. The ability to switch between EL84's and 6V6's is a great feature. I've put off a decision until I can get more info.

There have been a few people who got to hear the prototype and I'm hoping they can give me some insight on the Sultan. It's hard to order an amp when I can't even hear a clip. My guess is that the Sultan is a great amp.

15. skhan007

Ditto. I'm interested to hear from the folks who have played the Sultan. The 9/15 is OK in the gain dept- It's all subjective, though. Some guys feel it has enough gain, and some guys (me) want more.

16. relix63

Anything new on this? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a Sultan but I really want to hear a clip first.

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

When I tried the prototype it was pretty much a clean to scream amp with just a volume knob. The gain sounded similar to marshall/tw, but with Bob's flavor of mids. I must own one.

18. klaetos

klaetos Member

This is not helping my GAS

19. mkoetter

mkoetter Member

So, I have been pining pretty hard for an 18SV... will the Sultan go into the same classic plexi territory? I read that it was targeting the trainwreck sound.

I'm almost desperate enough to sell my Meteor to get my hands on one of these.

20. Hamiltone

Hamiltone Silver Supporting Member

E.M. Shorts in Wichita Kansas has one in stock with cabinet.