New Reso - need pickup options

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dBerch, Jan 25, 2015.

1. dBerch

dBerch Member

Greetings! New to this forum, and just got my first reso - a round neck Whipple Creek copy of a '35 National Trojan. Looking for the most true-to-guitar reso pickup options. I LOVE the way this thing sounds, and that's what I want folks to hear at my shows. or as near as possible with a pickup.

And, before you all start yelling Hump Day (Mic! Mic! Mic!) ;) i often play in loud crowded places and live mics on instruments as an only source just aren't practical.

Thanks!

David Berchtold
    ​www.davidberchtold.com

2. Modulator

Modulator Member

That's too bad, I can't stand how tinny the pickup on my Dobro DM75 sounds, best recordings have been mainly mic.

I believe there are two kinds of ways you could do this, a transducer on a bridge to replace your bridge, or a surface mount pickup. I imagine the bridge way would sound better, but might need to have someone do it for you.

I'm not sure if yours is a wooden body, but that may take pickups better than my metal body. It's the loudest acoustic I've ever played, great for small spaces even w/o electric amplification, just physics, pure analog amplification. :D

Sounds tinny and somehoe boomy and crappy through the built in pickup. But I haven't tried EQing it to be honest.

Congrats on the resonator!

You might want one of these if you plan on playing it true "dobro" style, like a square neck.
    http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Nuts_and_Saddles/Slide_Guitar_Extension_Nut.html

3. dBerch

dBerch Member

thanks, Timmy, Yes, I'm aware of this pickup. I use K&K in all my flattops.

Have you used that biscuit K&K or heard it, Tim? Know where I can find any recordings? I'm coming up empty.

Edited: And yes! it is a wood body.

Thanks!
    David

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015