New Retro-Sonic Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rick Towne, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Just took delivery of one of the new versions with speed/depth on both the chorus and vibrato sides and a master level control. Initial impressions are very good, as it makes the chorus much more controllable. I'll know much more after the weekend.

2. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

So, where did you buy it. Inquiring minds want to know.

3. taking tiger mtn

taking tiger mtn Member

I also have one and love it. I ordered from the Retro Sonic page around Christmas. A post on OSG suggested they had a few left from the latest run with the updated controls. Not sure how many, but I told a few friends who also got them. The site is somewhat confusing, and it took me a while to figure out how to actually order.

The site promises a larger-scale run of this new model sometime in 2015.

Was glad to get it at less than what flippers on the Emporium were asking at the time.

4. jordane93

jordane93 Member

5. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Looking forward to being able to purchase one of these. I should have never let my original go so long ago.

6. MilesMitchell

MilesMitchell Member

Where did you get it??? Why did I not hear about this??

Definitely my favorite chorus pedal. I love the original CE-1 but it's just too outdated and huge! The retro sonic nails those sounds but in a much smaller box that doesn't affect your entire signal and only takes 9v operation.

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

I have read that the stereo one is not "as good" as the original mono version. Any truth to this? What if I just play the stereo one in mono?

8. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Directly from Tim Larwill at the R-S site. It's the same price as before.

EL34 likes this.
  9. Rick Towne

There was a mention of it here late last year. I emailed Tim directly to follow up. I have had the original 12v stock model since 2007. Tim modified it to 9v.
    There is a meaningful difference on the chorus side; the vibrato side is a little thinner on the new one, but it so close it's immaterial.

10. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Is the new one through hole or smt?

11. Rick Towne

Can you rephrase the question?

12. King Rat

King Rat Member

13. Rick Towne

That's the one. I'm going to keep my original unit for a while.

14. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

Do you mean the new one falls short compared with the previous version?
    Could you please be a little more specific?

15. lobsterinmotion

lobsterinmotion Member

Love it. I'm happy with my silver Chorus though - pretty hard to justify buying the new version. I'm sure the prices will skyrocket in a while as it very well may be the best sounding chorus ever (apart from the original which does have that certain "something") and with the additional controls it's become pretty versatile.

Richards likes this.
  16. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

How is the noise? I got rid of the orifginal version because the noise made it unusable. Same noise level in the new version?

17. scotth

scotth Member

I had one that was really noisy. I contacted Retro Sonic and they had me ship it back to them. They promptly fixed it for free. Quiet as a mouse after that.

Only sold it to make a buck. Biggest regret of my TGP career so far.

Now with the exchange rate being so so awful, I may never be able to afford one again

18. Rick Towne

Hi. To clarify, I'm keeping both the old 12v converted to 9v, and the new one with level control for both sides. With the level control, and separate speed and depth for the chorus, I am able to use the chorus from time to time, where I never did on the old one. I still use the vibrato side for faux-Leslie.

I'm also keeping my first run R-S delay with the "Ehco" control, even though I'm using the newer model. There's something intangible about them that makes them keepers.

19. Rick Towne

P.S., there is no noise on the chorus, either old or new. I use a '70's Princeton reverb with a Klone and Jan Ray clone, so it's a low gain setup.

20. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

Sounds good. I never had much luck with it myself - running into a TRRI squeaky clean, but alas - still noisy. Glad it works out for you.