New Richter 5E3 arrived yesterday!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Andythebear, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Andythebear

Andythebear Member

My Richter 5E3 was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday, and I only had the chance to unpack it and give it a quick inspection before heading out for a few hours. First impression was holy crap! This thing is beautiful! Really, this amp is constructed in such a careful manner – the tweed looks like a German engineer applied it. The pine cabinet is impeccable. The amp wasn’t quite as light as I had heard, but this made me happy as I want the amp to have a solid feel to it. The black laser etched control plate makes it look a little stealthy. And the quality Richter logo is securely attached to the front with four large screws. Just a gorgeous amp to look at, but the tone?

This morning, after the house was empty, I went down and fired her up. And I will now tell you that I have found the tone (s) that I have been searching for. I have been playing for 25 years and this is the most euphoric gear acquisition that I have ever experienced. I played with the different inputs, played with the volume settings, the tone setting, and played through it with a G & L Legacy, a G & L Asat semi hollow, and a really cool 1980 Ibanez Artist. The sound is rich, focused, clear, broad, and has a great tight bottom that I know with get even better after the speaker breaks in. I am completely floored by this thing. I can’t wait to go home and play it tonight. Oh, and I pumped it up with a Bad Bob booster, and then a Fulltone Fat Boost and both made this thing howl.

Along with being a wonderful human being and an impressive business woman, Sara Richter is the goddess of guitar tone. I need to meet this woman some day. I am one happy guitar player…finally.

2. go7

go7 Member

Congrats; One fine amp. BTW I have many more expensive amps and channel switchers. My best tone is through a 5E3 and has been for over 30 years. Enjoy!

3. Zim

Zim Member

Richter is the Best! Sara rocks!

Just wait until it breaks in!

4. starjag

starjag Member

5. Andythebear

Andythebear Member

I was watching one on eBay last month and it was bought before I could move on it. I emailed Sara, who is an absolute peach, and she notified me when one was ready and I didn't hesitate. I too own/have owned more expensive amps with swtiching and reverb, etc. and this amp is hands down the winner.

6. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

I'm way past the honeymoon on mine and it's still pure bliss, great amp!

7. Option

Option Member

They're great! It's my most-played amp, and I've got an original '67 Princeton Reverb, an original '65 Deluxe Reverb, and an early '70's Pro Reverb. It's easily my favorite of the bunch.

8. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

It's sarasmiles1820 on eBay, if I remember correctly.
    Just send her a check, you won't regret it, that's for sure ~

9. Trout

Trout Member

Plus + on Sara and her guy, Great folks, fine products. I heard a few very positive rumors on upcoming models.

I need deeper pockets!! LOL

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

I'm digging my Richter Tweed Deluxe :D Bought it out of the Emporium from a fellow TGP member and am very happy with it. I was a little surprised at how LOUD it is. I had to put a HotPlate onboard to keep peace in the house ;)

Enjoy :AOK

11. Trout

Trout Member

Hey, just curious,

How does the hotplate sound when used with that type amp? Does it roll off any of the Chime or Extended High notes? Also, how about the bottom end? I have been thinking about buying the hotplate, but I am not exactly sure which one to get.

Any info would be great.

Trout

12. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Richter Tweed Deluxe a few months back. Just found that it was not quite my cup of tea. HOWEVER, the amp was just so well put together in all aspects. I was able to pick mine up in person & got to meet Sara & her husband. Just wonderfull folks! Ended up B.S.'n for quite some time with 'em about amps & whatever. I would HIGHLY recommend an amp from them if you were in the market for what they do. I could see another Richter in my future for sure!:AOK

13. 5E3

5E3 Member

I think you lose a little chime when you take the volume way down. I only do that when others are sleeping in the house and I want to play. When I take it down 4 or 8 dB it's not that noticeable. Also, it's easier for me to get the distorted tone I want without blowing the windows out :) I'm not certain people realize how loud these amps can really get!

14. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

What models? Have you heard? I have a Champ, would love it if they produced a Princeton reverb with a 12" speaker...

15. Dale

Dale Member

I love my 5e3!

16. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I bought one of Sara's RS 5.8 Tweeds and its very nice.

However, I'm curious......whats the tonal differences between the 5E3 sound and my RS 5.8?

Does anyone know?

17. Trout

Trout Member

I have both amps.

The 5.8 being blackface is slightly darker. I compared her amp to the original circuit and she has altered some values which do add a bit more headroom and brightness.

Her 5E3 like most has a much wider range. The Highs are more extended, the bottom end is not as controllable and there is plenty of it. I think the harmonic range on the 5E3 is much wider, It has a big fat sound whereas the 5.8 is tighter and more defined almost HiFi until it starts to breaks up.

IMO, RS 5.8 great jazz tones, excellent coffee house gigger, anyplace small and its great.
    The 5E3 is more of a blues monster or balls out rock n roller, borderline bar gig material if you do not need tons of clean.
    Both work well for recording purposes but I feel like the 5.8 likes pedals better.

18. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

I've not heard a Richter. I have a Nick Greer Underdog 15, and I recently build a Mission 5E3 kit. I've spent a LOT of time under the hood of these amps lately.

Richter seems to be pretty much top of the hear according to the feedback I read on the forum here. Not heard anyone compare it to the Greer. I will say the Greer has got a LOT more going on than the Mission kit. Nothing wrong with the Mission kit, just the Greer is beefed up (Mod 1 option) with custom wound transformers.

But I have a question: What is Richter doing different from the run of the mill 5E3 clone? These amps are pretty simple and it doesn't take much mod'ing to make them "no longer a 5E3", so don't think these builders are doing a LOT different. What makes the difference though?

19. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Congrats..........Andythebear. They are great amps.
    You need to go ahead and buy another one.....They sound twice as good in stereo:banana

Grady