New Rickenbacker 360

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scott_F, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Picked this up a few days ago. I'll keep my review short and sweet. I'm not sure why these guitars never called out to me before. but, the QC from the factory is some of the best I've ever seen. The guitar arrived intonated perfectly, overall set up was quite nice. Someone took some time with it. The finish was perfect. Tone is sweet.

I've kinda always heard a lot of negative comments on the lacquered neck and the size of it being too small. Well, I have big hands and I'm primarily a rhythm player, but I'm having no issues at all with it. It kinda reminds me of an old Tele neck. the lacquer was a new one to me, but I've found that with a bit of polish, it's slick as whale snot. For me, slick is good.

A week after I bought mine, MF and other online guys raised the price by 300 buckeroos. Timing is everything in life.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Congrats man! How about a pic?

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Scott, Scott, Scott...

You know better than to post a thread without pics... Especially because you know, WE ALL KNOW you've got 'em!

:p

4. photoguy

photoguy Member

the *small* references might have been directed towards the 12 string as the string spacing is really tight. I had a 12 for a short while and had to send it off to Mark Arnquist ( Google to see who he is, if you're interested) in order to correct the cramped spacing. Mark cut a new nut, installed a 12 saddle bridge and did a few other changes to bring the guitar back to the way they used to make them.

Beautiful guitar though, and the build quality is second to none. What color?

5. Doodad

Doodad Member

Congrats. I love my 620 in mid blue. Surf's up baby!

6. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

7. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

picpicppicpic*ghaaasssp*picpicpicpic . .

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Wow! What a looker.. A Rick 360 was my main guitar for 4 years, loved it but lost it. Someday..

10. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

yea that is really cool, love the flame in the headstock.
    Rob

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

Nice! I love the bookmatched back! Mapleglo is a nice finish on a Ric.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

AAHHH mapleglo!

13. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

I have a question about the 360 in general, since I have never had the chance to play one. Does the position of the neck pickup change the harmonic content due to the 24 fret fingerboard? Most 24 fret guitars I have heard sound funny on the neck pickup, such as the PRS 24, and Ibanez. It seems that the pickup is too far back toward the bridge to get the classic neck tone. I thought maybe this might not be the case with the ric since it is a single coil, and pretty close to the end of the fingerboard.

14. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar. I've never even played one. I heard one cranked through an AC30 once....wow.

15. Doodad

Doodad Member

To 6string:

I have a 620 not the 330, but have played both. I think the neck pups on the Rics are very cool. My fav of the two in fact. I am not so sold on the bridge pup, but with the ric-o-sound box in a seperate amp I can work that out with various boxes.

16. Oskar

Oskar Member

It has the Vintage toaster pickups and a silver vintage case. It's a beautiful guitar, mapleglo. I also have a '92 330-6 in mapleglo. I never realized how well these guitars are made until I owned one. Nice to see that Rickenbacker has not compromised itself and started making overseas knockoffs of their stuff.
    Found the 12-string a bit hard to play at first since the the strings are strung lo-hi instead of hi-lo, and even with small hands it's a tight squeeze toward the nut. But, practice, practice, practice. Great guitars.

17. DrQuist

DrQuist Member

Just found this place ...if you are looking for me or have any questins ...perhaps I can help you with your 12 string / Rick ????'s

or you can email me .

18. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

VERY nice!!!! I've got a '90 360/12 in JetGlo.

19. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

My 360 is mixed in there somewhere....:AOK