New Rig Clips - Need Some Ears Please

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by cmacalpine, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

Hi Guys:

Running a fever so I stayed in and decided to make some quick clips of my new rig as it comes together. My live miking parameters are somewhat constrained, so I apologize in advance for the quaklity of the recording, but I hope that it is enough to hear what I am trying to accomplish.
    I run my mike through a Lexicon Omega which is a nice piece except for the mic pres, I definitely have to get some new ones - then into my Audio Machine and recorded these clips with Sound Forge. There was nothing added to them just clean up the hiss in the beginning and end. The guitar was my Peavey Wolfgang QT with Dean Markley Blue Steel 10's into a Vertigo Vibe, Boss DS1, Ibanez WD7, Rocktron Pulse and Wasabi AO1, into a DSL 401 set mostly clean. The Marshal is run on the Yellow(Crunch) Channel only with treble at 3, Mids at 8, Bass at 8.5, Gain on 2, Channel volume on 2 Master on 10. I took the reverb tank out so there is no reverb on the amp. I run a line from the emulated DI out into a Behringer Tube Ultragain 200 Mic Pre then into a Rocktron Hypnotic Flange then Boss DD20 then Intellifex Online. My wet side at the moment is my practice amp a Marshal MG15CD, but it will be replaced shortly with a dedicated power amp powering my two 1X12 cabs thayt I have waiting.For these clips I did'nt use either the DS1 or the Pulse Tremelo, I usually use them only with the Strat.

I'm looking to see if what I think I hear is relatively close to what others may hear and what I can do to align the two. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to give the clips a listen.

Clips:

Wolfgang AO1 Clean Boost set at 5db boost.

Wolfgang">Wolfgang AO1 and WD7 wah wah

Wolfgang and DD20

Wolfgang DD20 Hypnotic Flange

Wolfgang DD20 Vertigo Vibe

Wolfgang Intellifex 8 voice chorus wet cab

Thanks for listening.

2. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

the wide sound field really helps i think//

3. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

Thanks rkstarr for listening. I agree, the wider field does lend some more air and body to the instruments simultaneously. I will be glad when I've installed the final gear pieces so that I can really hear and balance each side. Thanks again,

4. Rid

Rid Senior Member

The wide field is nice, but it is kinda hard saying anything without some music going on together with the guitars, I rather liked the vibe by the way:)
    Got a Wolfgang QT myself, but mine has been modded some by now.

5. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

Rid: Thanks for listening. I like the vibe as well. Sometimes I feel as if it should get a deeper swallow somehow and then other times it's just fine. It sounds, to me at least, a lot better with my strat. I agree about the lack of music going on, but I wil have an answer for that problem shortly. I've noticed that you have a QT as well, what did you do to mod yours? Sometimes, I love the pickups, then at other times they really annoy me. I use 10-52's on mine, any suggestion for a good, clear warm set of pickups that will work well under moderate gain and clean for a QT?

6. Rid

Rid Senior Member

I use a Duncan APH-2 in the neck, and a JB/59 hybrid in the bridge, also had a pure Duncan 59 set on it, was thinking about getting an EVH bridge for it, but I like the JB/59 hybrid, also stuck in an OFR Floyd and took off the D-Tuna by the way, I use it with 11-48 strings, it is quite nice, the org pickups was nice, but just too much for my usage:)
    To me it is just a superstrat in disguise...hehe

7. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

I hear you about the too much. I never use my D-Tuna so I might remove it as well. Do you find that the APH-2 in the neck lessens some of the darkness in the neck pickpup? I would also like something that is not quite so thin - and I don't know if that is the right word because once you are using heavy gain it cuts through - in the bridge slot, maybe come down a notch or two in output.

8. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

I really liked the last few clips, I liked the vertigo flange a lot. I liked the tone in the other clips. In a band situation I could see how it could cut through really well.

9. cmacalpine

cmacalpine Member

Thanks theirflowers21, I was hoping that it would sound like it would cut through. It is going to be a power trio playing a wide variety of music and as such flexibility and clarity are very important to me as well as tone of course. It's funny that I use a channel switcher and never switch channels, it always stays on the crunch channle and I use my volume knob to get cleans. My next amp will definitely be a single channel. I like the Vertigo Vibe a whole lot, especially for the price, it does the job well, maybe not as well as others, but it works. The flange is a little more tricky, I am still working on that one. My favorite flang has always been an Electric Mistress, but after dying in a two week period, I am hesitant to get another.