New Robben Ford/Bill Evans record - The Sun Room

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cber1517, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Way better than those raw Fenders on his recent solo record.

IMHO of course.

2. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I like this album. It's on the mellow side and honestly I think Evans do most of the heavy lifting in terms of soloing. Otoh it's got a nice, relaxed feel to it, and a sense of natural flow. These aren't guys out to conquer the world or impress with flash, they're just there to do right by the music. And they succeed by and large.

I think it becomes Ford to team up with a horn player. Brings out something fresh in him., just as his pairings w Bob Malach in the 90s did. Otoh, in a way, the fanboy in me wish this collaboration had happend 10-15 years ago when Ford was still more playing and less song-writing oriented.

In any event, I like the album. I like letters from old friends, even if they're sort of light on news.

3. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

For my tastes, I really liked Robben's tone on "Bringing it Back Home".

Believe it was an vintage Epiphone into nice sounding blackface Fenders. That album swings in a laid back way and his guitar is voiced clear and direct without hair around the notes.

jjtree likes this.
  4. mikebat

mikebat Member

side note:

If you are a jazz musician and your name is Bill Evans....I would think you'd call yourself William Evans.

It's like a young baseball player named Mickey Mantle, call yourself Mike or Michael.

Baxtercat and joevacc like this.
  5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

It’s a perfect opportunity to call yourself Quasar 73

6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I thought that record was the Epiphone straight into the ODS.

Think he mentions that on his rig rundown.

Todd Lynch and deepguitar like this.
  7. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

Bluesful - You are correct. Robben said he used, "A ’65 or ’66 Epiphone Riviera, and I just used the rhythm pickup. I put it though my Dumble Overdrive Special driving a single-12 open-back cabinet. I never used any overdrive"

So, ODS clean is like a great BF tone. Only have played Dumble wannabes and, other than a buddy's Bludotone 100 watt model that was made for clean tones (maybe BludoPhonix?) which sounded great but loud like a BF Twin, was never impressed by the wannabes' clean tones.

8. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

As always - Late to the party. Not necessarily a fan of BE, huge RF fan. Listening and digging now.

9. koji

koji Member

Recently revisited the 1972 Charles Ford Band album, with a 19 yr. old Robin Ford. Good god, the song Gibson Creek Shuffle,mistakes and all,has an exuberance and an off the cuff excitement i had forgotten about. The expressive,throaty tone of his Super 400 is just wonderful.

Average Joe likes this.