New Rocketfire Strat!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TRW, Feb 21, 2009.

1. TRW

TRW Member

Had to post these pics Nick sent of my new strat. It's not yet on the way to me here, but he is getting finished with it and sent me the pics as a teaser!

I am stunned. He has nailed my vision of the ultimate strat, in a unique colour I requested. In fact the colour is way nicer than the swatches I sent to him judging by the photos. I asked for a military esque vibe with wear that speaks of historic battles with russian tanks!!! Nick took elements of a Mercedes Benz Anthracite Grey and a Military Khaki to produce my colour!

He nailed it. Really nice dark rosewood fingerboard, and perfect amount of wear on the body. Maybe looking at a little more graduation on back of neck wear...

Neck is a C shape 0.9" with 10" radius, 6105 frets. 60's Handwound pickups with slight overwind in bridge. Tone controls should be wired to neck and bridge. Alder body.

I can't wait to play it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nick has put up with my requests, been patient, helpful and given me great updates. Highly recommended. Looks like this thing will be worth the wait, more later once arrived and played!

-Tom

2. airwarrior

airwarrior Member

Strats look surprisingly cool in olive drab. Needs a great big white star on it. It'll look like a weathered tank.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Cool....All it really needs now is a bullet hole ;).

4. JS335

JS335 Member

That's shweet!

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

6. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

fanFREAKINGtastic!

7. FREELESSONSNOW

FREELESSONSNOW Senior Member

Very nice. I just ordered one from Nick.

Keep us posted once you try it out.

8. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Just got the Tele neck I ordered from him today. I honestly reconsidered all the sentimental value I place on my John Mayer Strat... I have a hard time keeping two high-end Strats around so that's the one I've always kept, but after getting this Tele neck from Nick I really want one of his Strats and I think it could/would outdo the Mayer, my stalwart #1 since the day I got it.

9. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I once almost bought a blonde 335 that had a repaired bullet hole in it.
    I've regretted it ever since.

TRW, that is awesome and I love the color, good choice and Nick, good work!

11. TRW

TRW Member

Thanks guys!

Bullet hole or white star would be cool but take it a little far for me!

-Tom

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Cool color but it has a bit of the Joe Stummer relic vibe going on.

13. TRW

TRW Member

A few more Nick sent after looking at the back of the neck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-T

14. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars Supporting Member

For some reason the checking is super hard to photograph but this guitar is checked like craze-y!

Ok that was lame... sorry:jo

15. Mr Meaner

Mr Meaner Member

Great looking guitar TRW!!! I have one coming as well... Hopefully soon, but it's been somewhat of an experiment for Nick on this build so I'm trying to be patient... :bkw

Nick is great man... Top notch from everything I've seen!!! Good luck with your guitar!

16. TRW

TRW Member

Just GOT IT!!!

Holy hell, it looks and feels great in person. Just like I've had it for years.

The neck colouring is fantastic, with patches of darker amber, like some of the very old or expensive Fender custom shops (Cruz etc).

The guitar plays great and my god it has TONE TONE TONE!

Really neck pickup into the Blueverb is about as good as it gets. It makes my old standard US strat sound like dogshit and makes me realise the potential of my amp and the Jester pedal.

Nick - great work!
    -T

17. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

TRW....we need a video clip of this thing in action....great looking strat on the way. Oh and thanks a lot....now I have major GAS for one of Nick's guitars!

18. TRW

TRW Member

I may do a clip at some point but I am hammered busy... off to Musikmesse soon too. Maybe around easter time.

Here's a better review of it:

First up:

1. The colour is perfect, I sent a swatch to Nick and he came out with something beautiful.

2. The neck aging is just wonderful, normally there is an adjustment period for me on guitars, but this one took less than 1 minute! The darker amber areas are just very well done and really exact to what I was after.

3. Frets feels great and there is a palm side fingerboard rolled edge which feels great. Also an added bonus I wasn't expecting!!

4. Really dark but quite dirty RW fretboard is superb.

5. Love the grain on the top of the headstock.

6. The neck profile - 0.9" C shape, it is perfect for my hands. I am super happy with that. Very easy to play this guitar. I'd go as far as saying I've been wrestling with my old strat (98 standard) to get it to play well and it makes me sound worse than I am. This guitar is like butter so licks and inspiration fall out of it!

7. Body and wear very well done, heavy but nothing feels or looks fake. And in all the places I would play it too, which is fortunate!! Dirty too, love it!

8. Pickups - fantastic tone. Really murders my other strat. Neck pickup is sublime.

9. Nice G&G tweed case too.

There is a reasonable amount of hum/buzz from the guitar when hands not on it, which is to be expected for a single coil instrument and it is pretty quiet with hands on. I'm no fan of noise, but the tone is worth it!

It is exactly the guitar I dreamed of.

After playing her for an hour or so, I am already certain this is my number 1. You have done amazing work here Nick, I am very thankful for all of your efforts. Stunning guitar.

The tone is so musical. Sustaining and very dynamic too, every note drips off the guitar and the pickups have a beautiful breakup when you play harder.

If you want to nail the SRV/Mayer (among others) thing these pickups are the real deal. They have a balance and a chime that is great, with a really nice girth, but dirty when you want. Just great Strat tone.

Tom

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

What does he charge for a relic'd Strat like that?

20. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Wow - the colour of that body just kills me. Very nice. Congrats!