New Roland Cube 80X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluescube, Jan 19, 2009.

1. bluescube

bluescube Member

For all you Cube60 fans, a new Cube!

http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/2317/cube_80x_brochure.pdf

2. Galo

Galo Member

pm me.
    thanks

3. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Those are some great new features. The smaller ones have the tuner, now this one does. Seperate reverb and delay is a big one. Also, that solo boost takes another box out of your gig bag. Hmmmmm...

4. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I'll be getting one of these for small gigs & practice instead of hauling my Dr.Z half stack out... I like these Roland cube amps.. they really sound good

5. bluescube

bluescube Member

The Cubes may not have all the features of the Vypyr, Spider and Valvetronix but I am willing to bet the Roland just is more solid and sounds better.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

I've been using a Cube 60 for rehearsals and it's been great...lightweight, plenty loud, and compact. My one complaint is that reverb and delay weren't footswitchable between the two.

Given the separate Reverb and Delay on the Cube 80X I just may need to upgrade! :D

7. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

As tempting as it may be, I use a pedalboard thru the clean channel of my Cube 60, obviating the need for the extra features on the Cube 80x. Although come to think of it, the extra features might obviate the need for a pedalboard....damn you guys! No! Resist the temptation!

8. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I still cant believe that theres no effects loop...big mistake IMO. I like to run my volume pedal after the gain...

9. stratzrus

That was my hope.

When tone counts at all, I'll use my Zendrive and Keeley Twilight Zone with the Cube 60, but it's nice to be able to take the amp to rehearsals without pedals when we're primarily just going over the changes. Amp in one hand, accessory bag in the other, and guitar in a gig bag on my back makes an easy to transport grab and go rig for rehearsals or informal jams.

If I was gigging with it though I'd definitely do it your way and use a pedal board with the clean channel.

I'm sure they did it for cost control reasons. From their perspecitve it's only a big mistake if the lack of an effects loop significantly limits sales.

I don't know how many people are using these as their primary gigging amp where it would be a significant factor, but I agree...the first thing I looked for was seperate Reverb and Delay, but the second thing was the effects loop and I was definitely disappointed that one wasn't included. The line out is nice, but a return would have sealed the deal.

As a result, I'm still debating if it's worth the extra money (and hassle of selling my Cube 60) it would take to do the upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  10. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

You're right. An effects loop would have sealed the deal. It would have added an entire market for this amp (POD users). They really messed up by not including it. Could the aux input be used as a return with an adaptor?

While it's nice to have seperate reverb and delay, I would still have to run 3 FS-5U footswitches back to the amp each with a separate cable. My pedalboard has multi-effect that affords me much more flexibility because I can save patches. It also has an integrated tuner. So the new features really don't buy me that much.

I don't think the extra features are worth the upgrade at this time. I would imagine that I would only be able to get a couple hundred for my Cube 60 and that the Cube 80x would probably be around $450 new. So I think I'll pass for now.

11. stratzrus

Absolutely.

I have no idea how it would sound, but possibly.

That's a real pain.

Makes sense.

At $285 my Cube 60 (mint/used) was a bargain for what it does. At $450 for the Cube 80X and another $75 for the pedal and cables it's a lot more money for not a whole lot more. I can just use my Nova Delay and still have separate delay and reverb.

12. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I love my little Cube 60.

Has anyone actually played the Cube 80X?

My buddy at Roland was worried they screw up a good thing with the "upgrade."

Hopefully his fears are unfounded.

:huh

13. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

New model "Dlx combo" added too. Wonder if it's tweed, brown or black??

14. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

How well does the cube 60 take pedals? Does it handle different styles well? Jazz, Rock, Country, Blues, Pop?

15. stratzrus

Considering what it is (inexpensive solid state amp), the clean channel takes pedals very well and used that way is fine for the styles above.

I've used the recording out with my 335 for jazz and it's not bad.

16. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I can't speak for hard rock tones because that isn't my style, although I've read that others have liked it. However, it really excels at jazzy clean stuff. If you've heard a Roland JC-120, then you can compare it to that but in a lighter compact package. It loves pedals and is earth shakingly loud. I use the clean channel with pedals. I don't use the gain channel at all.

17. grism

grism Member

I think that the gain channels sound pretty darn good, and this is in comparison to a pretty upscale boutique 100W amp that is my main rig. I upgraded the pickups in all of my guitars to Motor City Pickups and now the gain channels sound FANTASTIC. My only gripe is that the bass, mid and treble controls are not particularly responsive nor interactive.

I play hard rock and metal, and the cube really delivers. The new pickups have helped immensely, improving harmonics and overall clarity of the distorted tones.

I would definately consider the 80X when I can get it for a second-hand price.

:AOK

18. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Built in looper? I'm all over this. I love my Cube60. Finally includes a footswitch too!

19. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I love the cube line. Had the 30x but it wasn't loud enough, so I got the 60. I use it for rehearsals. That said, I am about to list it in the Emporium with a brand new footswitch...

20. irok660

irok660 Member

For real! Come on Roland , get a clue. Thats the only thing I really dont like about my Cube 60. With one this amp would have SO much potential.