New Ryan Adams record streaming live

Staticbuster

I bought the End of the World box set back on pre-order in January. I was supposed to get immediate download of the digital version of Prisoner friday, but got no email, no link or anything. To say I'm bummed is an understatement. Anybody else get in on this and have any insight?

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I got the pre-order cd in the mail, yesterday. I've listened to it, in it's entirety, about four times now. I think it's a really strong record, but I'm a big fan of his, so there's definitely bias here. I have two friends who are also Ryan Adams fanatics, one male and one female and both non-musician but really big music fans, who said that they thought that this is he best since Heartbreaker. I'm not quite there with this one, but I think that it's his best since Easy Tiger and I dig all of his stuff. IMO, as prolific an artist as he is, his discography has no clunkers in it.

So far, I think that "Shiver and Shake" is the standout cut off of Prisoner. His lyrics just cut straight through and contain no BS filler and these lyrics are no exception.

I've been waiting here like a dog at the door
You used to throw me scraps, you don't do it anymore
I miss your loving touch, I miss your embrace
But if I wait here any longer I'm gonna fade away
If I wait here any longer I'll just fade away

Ryan has some clunkers, in my opinion. 29 is an awful record. I hate the Rock-n-Roll record. That Cardinals record III-IV or whatever it was called, is an awful record. I'm not a big fan of Cardinalology. When he was deep into the dope he was pretty awful, in my opinion.

What is amazing about him, in my opinion, is after he cleaned up, he seems to be able to write, and hardly anyone has been able to do that. That is very, very rare.

Steve73

Ryan has some clunkers, in my opinion. 29 is an awful record. I hate the Rock-n-Roll record. That Cardinals record III-IV or whatever it was called, is an awful record. I'm not a big fan of Cardinalology. When he was deep into the dope he was pretty awful, in my opinion.

Haha, and that's the good thing about a catalog as vast as his, people have such different opinions on his stuff. I love the Rock n' Roll and Cardinals III-IV records, probably two of my favs, though I really like Gold and Easy Tiger as well. I just got the newest one but I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet. So far, kinda similar to self titled, which is a really good thing.

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
I've been stuck with just three songs available on iTunes Music until the whole album was made available today. I've been listening to it all day and am thoroughly enjoying it!

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
You need to be high to be able to write???

No, but I obviously don't write to his level. I don't get high, but I don't begrudge anyone who does. He actually does still smoke dope, but he says it helps his medical condition.

RicardoUK

Have listened to Prisoner three or four times already and think it's a great album. A solid continuation of the self titled album (which I absolutely love, most underrated album for ages in my opinion) and the only criticism is that vocally it's not as strong. Lyrically and musically it's top drawer....

Stratofreak

Have listened to Prisoner three or four times already and think it's a great album. A solid continuation of the self titled album (which I absolutely love, most underrated album for ages in my opinion) and the only criticism is that vocally it's not as strong. Lyrically and musically it's top drawer....

For me, I find his vocal performances on Prisoner to be some of his best. The only thing that I don't like on the record is the snare drum sound.

Mike R.

I gave it a first listen yesterday and really like it. I don't know what he went thorough to write those songs but after hearing the whole thing I wanted to tell the guy I was sorry for whatever happened to him. The songs really come from some painful place.

There's an old thread that's resurfaced about the guitar sounds on New York, New York. I said that album would have been stronger with fewer songs. During the Maron interview, Adams said something that caused me to reconsider him completely -- that he is a musician whose hobby is music. And there it is. There's Ryan Adams.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Guys here calling him a young guy... you know he's 42, right? Not old but certainly no spring chicken.

That aside, he has been one of my Top 5 songwriters without question for the last 25 years, and king of it in his genre. I also love that he has also been able to continue to push electric guitar for all the guys like me out there slugging it out who still give a **** about the instrument, contrary to what mainstream music says or does.

Benny Yurco is his new guitarist, former guitarist for Grace Potter. He's a VT guy and brings some serious energy and killer chops to the table, along with some great gear. If you're a fan of Ryan, you should try and get out to one of his shows this year. Killin' band.

Last edited:

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Curious to hear your opinion. I heard a lot of people who didn't like Ashes & Fire. I think that is one of his most underrated albums. I think it was one of his best vocal performances. I love the record. Curious as to what everyone thinks of that record?

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Curious to hear your opinion. I heard a lot of people who didn't like Ashes & Fire. I think that is one of his most underrated albums. I think it was one of his best vocal performances. I love the record. Curious as to what everyone thinks of that record?

Love that record.

I don't get the negativity.

Falco

Love the title track, Invisible Riverside & Dirty Rain, amongst others. Fantastic writing, great arrangements. It lacks the fire (no pun intended) and intensity of his early records but that's made up for with a steadier hand and more straight forward approach to the songs.

Steve73

It lacks the fire (no pun intended) and intensity of his early records but that's made up for with a steadier hand and more straight forward approach to the songs.

Yeah, my thoughts too. I like it, it just doesn't have a lot of 'push' to it.

Been listening to the new one a lot today. I am really digging it, I think I like it better than the last one already.

Staticbuster

Love the title track, Invisible Riverside & Dirty Rain, amongst others. Fantastic writing, great arrangements. It lacks the fire (no pun intended) and intensity of his early records but that's made up for with a steadier hand and more straight forward approach to the songs.

Those are all great tunes. What really does it for me is Benmont Tench's staller B3 playing. He really nailed the vibe on that album.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom