New Ryan Adams record streaming live

EricPeterson

I've made it about halfway through it. I had to put it down for a bit. Some things just aren't resonating with me from a musical standpoint. It sounds like he's transforming into Bryan Adams. I really appreciate the lyrical content, though. That's a rough place to write from and not seem bitter or trite. It's honest. I will push forward soon.

Try that acoustic show I posted above first maybe, the production on the album is interesting, it took me a bit to get into it, I like it now, but I think hearing the songs stripped down to an acoustic guitar and him singing might make it easier to digest at first.

Listened to the new album last Friday. Not my favorite, but not my least favorite either. Every album he puts out has at least one or two tracks that are above average (to me), and this new one seems to have its fair share. I need to listen to it a few more times.

soulohio

ryan has got the most uncomfortable
between song banter
strangely
there are people in the audience
that positively lap it up
must be
just me

Staticbuster

I listened to the new record about 4 times today, popped it in the cd player in my truck and just let it play on my work commute.

I like it, and it's what I expected...a continuation of the S/T album. To me it sounds like A&F, S/T, and Prisoner are all about his separation and eventual divorce. Definitely stark records. But good. I will say, Prisoner hasn't grabbed me as quickly as S/T did, but it's growing. There's some really killer lyrics that I can tell are going to unfold with more listens.

I have tix to see him on 3/09/17, can't wait.

Stratosphere

What's funny is a lot of Adams' fans don't like that record. I think it's wonderful. Very powerful record. I love it!

Mike
That was exactly the opposite for me. He seemed like an interesting, authentic kind of guy. So
The WTF podcast didn't make me want to listen to his music, that's for sure.
I really enjoyed it. I was not familiar with his music but he seemed like an interesting, thoughtful kind of guy who I was vaguely aware of and a different kind of artist than I thought. So he's up one listener now.

Traintrack

Where is the Talent?
Silver Supporting Member
Ryan is playing the Peter Pan card. Still reaching for the false sense of comfort centered around the things that made him happy when he was 12. Mid forties wearing a high school jeans jacket with a Batman button. The Action figure in the box guy has a limited appeal to most women. The initial wonderment fades fast. Wait until he enters the 4th quarter (55) he will face a reckoning.

I like the last record better than this one. But the production on Prisoner is superb. I will listen to this release and dissect the mixes and arrangements and then shelve it. I really am getting tired of Poor Little Ryan. The only consistent factor in his troubled life is himself.

And yea... I can't write, sing, produce like he can. But he could never do my job either.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Ryan is playing the Peter Pan card. Still reaching for the false sense of comfort centered around the things that made him happy when he was 12. Mid forties wearing a high school jeans jacket with a Batman button. The Action figure in the box guy has a limited appeal to most women. The initial wonderment fades fast. Wait until he enters the 4th quarter (55) he will face a reckoning.

I like the last record better than this one. But the production on Prisoner is superb. I will listen to this release and dissect the mixes and arrangements and then shelve it. I really am getting tired of Poor Little Ryan. The only consistent factor in his troubled life is himself.

And yea... I can't write, sing, produce like he can. But he could never do my job either.

Ha! Did he steal your girl once? Why so bitter about a dude you don't even know? Ha!

soulohio

Don't make the mistake of evaluating Ryan like he is just another piker trying to look like a teenager. He is a different dude. He thinks different and acts different... That is his prerogative as a person and as an artist. Judge his art but not his innocuous visage

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I finally put the LP up on the hi-if tonight. Just been listening to my burned cd in my computer through some nice monitors. On the big stereo, it seems a bit midrange-heavy. I know he was shooting for an 80s sound, but the mix seems a bit hollow with so much midrange. Anyone else notice this? Turned up loud it was pretty noticeable to me.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I finally put the LP up on the hi-if tonight. Just been listening to my burned cd in my computer through some nice monitors. On the big stereo, it seems a bit midrange-heavy. I know he was shooting for an 80s sound, but the mix seems a bit hollow with so much midrange. Anyone else notice this? Turned up loud it was pretty noticeable to me.

My ears aren't that good.

Creighton

It's mid focused but that's where the good sound is at. There's too many over produced records out there which increases the appreciation for every modern album that is natural sounding, like this one and quite a few others I've heard recently. The resurgence of tape and vintage consoles is great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom