New Ryan Adams single: what guitar / amp combo do you hear?

jayn

When I saw Ryan two weeks ago, he was using all blackface amps. No 68 reissues. I asked the tech after and he said they were all 65 reissues... no vintage ones live. (at least, not that night anyways...)
Me too - also two BF PRs, with a couple of cabs and a third PR at the edge of the stage which seemed to be his guitar monitor since it wasn't mic'd. He mostly played Strats that night (and at HSB in SF where I saw him the week before the local show). He a did a few songs with 355, Jazzmaster, and SG and a few on a Harmony acoustic.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Me too - also two BF PRs, with a couple of cabs and a third PR at the edge of the stage which seemed to be his guitar monitor since it wasn't mic'd. He mostly played Strats that night (and at HSB in SF where I saw him the week before the local show). He a did a few songs with 355, Jazzmaster, and SG and a few on a Harmony acoustic.
Saw him here Sunday night and it was the same set up. The other guitarist appeared to have a 65RI and a 68CPR...

I think a PR is the only Blackface Fender GAS I have at the moment. Between RA, Johnny Marr, and a slew of other players....the small BF combos seem to have some serious tone

wizard_23

Given s306's good eye, going left to right on that board I see:

Boss DD3>Boss CH1>Telenordia>Telenordia>EHX Holy Grail>Boss TU2>unknown wah or volume pedal.

The telenordias are blank, so I have no idea what model each is.
I'm assuming the B Telenorida is a boost and O is Overdrive, but it's an assumption that could be way wrong.

Seems the orange wah is a George Dennis? http://www.georgedennis.eu/pages/fxpedals.htm

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone been able to find the answer to the question re the 1X12 cabs? Love to know what's in there.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my original '68 Princeton Reverb atop a new Mather 1x10 extension cab. I ended up with a spare original '68 baffle a few years back, and finally decided to do something with it. I sent the baffle to Peter and he built a cab around it. Amp and cab are both loaded with Celestion Gold 10s and it sounds f$@king amazing.

I can get RA tones for days with this setup. I also use a Telenordia/Tortenmann overdrive and it's a great match for the PR.

loudboy

I think a PR is the only Blackface Fender GAS I have at the moment. Between RA, Johnny Marr, and a slew of other players....the small BF combos seem to have some serious tone
Add to that everything Mike Campbell and Tom Petty have recorded, since around Wildflowers...

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
Awful, yes. That's a descriptor I can use, provided I qualify it by saying it's my opinion. I don't remotely get the appeal.
Everything you say is technically your opinion....so "qualifying it" doesn't soften a statement that is more of a grading than providing what is a valid opinion of yours. "Peyton Manning is an awful quarterback....in my opinion." See how that (doesn't) work? :aok We've all grown now.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....

Does anyone know anything about that "Attack of the 50 Ft. Amp" Fender behind in him that one pic?? I've never seen that before.

Evo5150

Everything you say is technically your opinion....so "qualifying it" doesn't soften a statement that is more of a grading than providing what is a valid opinion of yours. "Peyton Manning is an awful quarterback....in my opinion." See how that (doesn't) work? :aok We've all grown now.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....

Does anyone know anything about that "Attack of the 50 Ft. Amp" Fender behind in him that one pic?? I've never seen that before.

Sure it does. All too often people say something sucks, while stating it as a fact. The quarterback comparison is kind of a flawed one, because you can almost objectively say why a quarterback sucks, because there are statistics to back that up. Music isn't so easy, because it's 90% subjective (maybe higher).

I came in here because I was curious what the continued fascination is with Ryan Adams is, and what, if any, contributing factor his gear has to do with it.

Was my initial post constructive? No, probably not. Is this a discussion forum where people express opinions that are quite easily skimmed over when they're not agreed with? Absolutely.

There. We've all grown.

Why do I dislike Ryan Adams? I just find his music incredibly boring. There's simply nothing moving going on at all. As for his current album, I liked it better when it was called Tom Petty.

This still won't align with 100% of the people here. I realize that, so I promise I'll find the door myself. The only reason I responded is because it seems you're fishing for something more constructive than just plain "awful".

Have a nice day. I'll be searching the forum for a "what does Steven Wilson use" thread. ;)

Schroedinger

Here's my original '68 Princeton Reverb atop a new Mather 1x10 extension cab. I ended up with a spare original '68 baffle a few years back, and finally decided to do something with it. I sent the baffle to Peter and he built a cab around it. Amp and cab are both loaded with Celestion Gold 10s and it sounds f$@king amazing.

I can get RA tones for days with this setup. I also use a Telenordia/Tortenmann overdrive and it's a great match for the PR.

Now that's just flat sexy. I have the same 68 drip edge... need to look into building an extension cab just like that!

howthewestwas1

Gold Supporting Member

I love it! Are you running the cab along with the combo speaker? If so how are you working out the impedances? Thanks!

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Surprised Adams plays the RIs? Everyone RI I have played has weird cab buzzing and rattling.

Staticbuster

Surprised Adams plays the RIs? Everyone RI I have played has weird cab buzzing and rattling.
Well, with the overall stage volume any cab rattle is probably unnoticable. Also, as easy as most cab rattles are to fix, I'm sure his techs have adressed any issues.

Dad love mom

Gold Supporting Member
I'd like to know what his actual recording Princeton's are... what speakers, year, etc. I'm pretty sure he's not recording with those 68 reissues...
Why are you pretty sure that he wouldn't record with the newer Princetons? Please do push the group mentality of vintage and handwired are always better. Give people more social cues to operate by ...

:thud

ozspawn

Why are you pretty sure that he wouldn't record with the newer Princetons? Please do push the group mentality of vintage and handwired are always better. Give people more social cues to operate by ...

:thud
Do you believe the reissues sound better?

Trending Topics