New SALEN (Strat-Tele-Strand) Strandberg Model

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brian Johnston, Jan 30, 2018.

1. panther_king

panther_king Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at - I'm so happy with my #1 (PRS Swamp Ash Studio) that I feel like I'd need something completely different to justify a purchase. A headless, fan-fret, 7 string, with Fluences is pretty much exactly that.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  2. rufedges

rufedges Member

It looks like a battle axe and Steinberger had a baby, somewhat unique and an A for effort, but fugly IMO.

Cal Webway likes this.
  3. mryoho

mryoho Member

I think the look makes more sense when you see it in someone's hands. If they make one with a trem, then I'm pretty sold:

4. DGA

DGA Member

Super cool!

5. olgluefoot

olgluefoot Member

It makes me feel funny.

6. sleep

sleep Member

I like it OK. Rick Toone did the same thing a few years ago albeit minus one cutaway:
    [​IMG]

Gclef and Baxtercat like this.
  7. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Got to hand it to them for making something unique in that style of guitar. Every time I look at it against the tree though, it literally reminds me of an axe to chop the tree down!

Swing away!!!!

8. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Is that guy really big or is the guitar really small?

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Probably both. My Strandberg is smaller than my Reverend Jetstream 390 and most other electric guitars.

That's headless guitars for ya!

I think it's fitting Strandbergs look like axes - after all, Ola is probably a descendant of Vikings.

guitrr likes this.
  10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

1. I dig it, which actually surprises me
    2. What's the strat part?

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I often refer to my Boden OS as "The IKEA cutting board". :p I remember when I first saw a Strandberg, I thought it was not so great looking but it's definitely grown on me, particularly when I play it. Unlike some other "minimalist" guitars I've played, it doesn't feel like anything is missing when you play it. It has all the touch points I expect to have with a guitar . . . and not much else.

[​IMG]

12. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I dig it and I'm glad he's branching out.

My only complaint with my Boden OS8LE is that it's more squared off than I'd prefer as the front and back meet the sides.

Despite that, it's been my number 1 for almost a solid year now since I got it.

13. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Toone has built a few things that look cool, but I am not convinced he really has any eye for design at all. That pic isn't helping his case.

I have three headless guitars and have owned others. I like them. Is there any benefit to making the above item a headless guitar? It probably weighs more than any off the shelf Tele due to what I see as uneccessary hardware. Also, what's with that white insulated wire coming off of the high E bridge piece? How much is one expected to pay for such slop?

I am not as big a fan as some in this thread about the Strandberg in the op (though I wouldn't say I hate it), but it looks better (IMO, of course) than the Toone Tele.

14. sleep

sleep Member

That Toone tele apparently sold (from the reverb listing I lifted the picture from) for $15k- used. I don't get it either. It is the first fan fret tele mashup I'm aware of though, and I wonder if it influenced the Strandberg, which I think is more graceful while equally openly displaying its influences.

I have no idea on what that guitar weighs, but I do think it is overcompensating in the hardware department. I actually do like a few of Toone's guitars, and I like this as well, but I think you're largely paying for hype. Besides, everyone knows that 'slop' is actually 'wabi-sabi' now and there's a premium for that.

15. icr

icr Member

I suspect they have some other designs in the works...
    [​IMG]

16. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

That might be more due to the chambered body than a hardware issue.

17. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Could be. I've only had to work on 3 of them so far. They all shared that rather thin acoustic quality.

redgold likes this.
  18. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I’ve had two Bodens and that airy thinner sound is why I keep one around. Sort of the anti-LP flavor. It’s my flutey guitar tone.

guitrr and zztomato like this.
  19. Mr.Darwin

Mr.Darwin Member

20. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I like my Strandbergs because they are super clear in the mix. I'm sure that is partly to do with the pickups in each. They have the clarity of a strat or tele, but I find more ballsy.

guitrr likes this.