New Samsung Galaxy S6 unveiled, surprising specs...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jamester, Mar 1, 2015.

1. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

So the new S6 models have been unveiled, and I am very surprised to learn that they no longer have replaceable batteries or SD cards! Also, they are metal and glass instead of plastic.

Now two of the biggest selling-points for Samsung phones over Apple's have been negated, how will the warring phanboi's on both sides handle this?? lol

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s6/

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Move to Windows phones.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

:spit Oh the horror of a non user-replaceable battery and proprietary built in memory... - signed, happy iPhone owner of over 5 years.

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'm getting a new Moto X tomorrow but did consider the Samsungs ... they seemed like a great bang for the buck! :idea

5. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

It'd be a deal breaker to me. I don't care what logo is on it, if I can't pop memory from cam to tablet to lap to other phones....pass. Swap a battery, yup, got 3 of them for my LG G3.

6. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

No SD=no deal.

7. jeff5371

jeff5371 Supporting Member

I was really surprised with the no SD card. I think Samsung thinks its not a big differentiator and they are at least starting the phones at 32GB standard. Still, this may be a bigger issue for them than they realize, especially with increased competition from Motorola and LG.

8. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

My S3 is over 2 years old now and I'm ready to replace it. I was interested in the S6 but the inability to remove/replace the battery is a bit of a bummer for me. Maybe that will change prior to hitting the market. I'm going to look at the Note 4. I really don't use my phone for a lot of things other than phone calls, text, emails and internet.

The other thing I look for is a low or lower SAR rating. I believe the Note 4 has a low value and maybe the S6 will be as well.

9. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

Wise choice on the X! I have the big brother to that, the Nexus 6 and I love it. Motorola is currently making some of the best phones out there from the low buck Moto E to the Moto G (which I bought my mother and she loves it) to the X and the Nexus 6. All great phones without a lot of horrible bloatware or a disgusting skin over the android OS like samsung and HTC insist on using to ruin the clean look of android 5.0 lollipop.

I was a die hard iphone fan (owned all of them up to the 5) 'til the Nexus 5 converted me and the 6 and lollipop are even better.

10. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Non replaceable battery is a deal breaker for me.

I had to let my boss use my HTC phone once after the battery on his IPhone died at a trade show.
    I was on my second battery.

11. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine feeling like I need to always carry a 2nd battery around with me because my phone can't hold a charge all day. If that was the case, I'd either look for a phone that uses a better battery or has a more efficient OS that doesn't drain the battery with unnecessary background tasks.

12. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

The iPhone/iPad sucks more and more with every ios update. "These things just work" is not something I can say any more.

Signed, unhappy iPhone user of over 2 years.

13. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

still loving my Windows phone and the best part it was so inexpensive too

14. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

That edge is a good looking phone!

15. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I find phones pretty boring, and I love tech. Useful tools; hopelessly compromised for any kind of real entertainment.

Small screens are small. E-reader technology really excited me, though. Greatest thing ever for people who have to travel a lot and like to read.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Those 2 reasons are why I bought a S5. Well, I still have about 14 months left on my contract so we'll see what happens.

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

When you do business traveling you'll find that ANY phone can drain before a long day is over.

Getting on a 6:00 am 3.5 hour flight and watching movies on your phone is already putting a hurt on your battery.
    Then head straight to an all day trade show where you are using your phone for shooting pics & video, sending texts & emails and actually talking on your phone, not to mention using your web browser for checking the company website, looking up product info etc, etc.

After the trade show you go straight to a business dinner with vendors you work with. More business work done on the phone.
    After dinner you do some extra curricular activities in the city you are visiting and you get to your hotel around 11:00 pm.

My bosses IPhone battery had crapped out by 5:00 and he had to borrow my phone.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  18. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Lock it down (with the limited user choices at least) and shut half the active ads and tracking crap services no one really needs. i've got much more mileage on the iphone 6, even more on a galaxy s4 it replaced (although that one was a bit more involved yet more rewarding). either way, you play a few vids or throttle up the cpu and poof, defeats the purpose of a "mobile device"

19. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I dunno, I've been with the Galaxy line since the 1, (now on the 5), and I don't really use those two features like I thought I would, and it's just not a problem. I do have an SD card in my 5, but I only have about 26 gigs of music total in my collection, I go to Pandora for the rest, and I have chargers everywhere, and the phone charges quickly.

Same with my Galaxy Tab S, I'm on Netflix and other services much more than I'm watching stuff from an SD card.

I know others will be different, and I used to tease my Apple-loving friends about those things, but, not anymore.

20. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

So they are going for a more premium look and feel. That is a good move for them.

I still don't like the white face they like using on their phones or that ugly home button. I think the Moto-X is the best looking android right now.

I can see how the non-replaceable battery can be an issue for those used to that feature, but the lack of SD card may be more of a "habit" issue than anything else, especially if the phones come standard with 32GBs of data.