New Scumback "Scumnico" And M10 Speakers, Mini Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jumpnblues, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Tried 'em in my Louis Electric KR-10/12. Found my "holy grail." Beautiful, harmonic, sweet, smooth, "glass-ey" highs, very punchy mids and tight lows. The 10M evidently adds smoothness on the top end. Or, maybe the "Scumnico" does? Or, maybe both? Heck, I don't know. But they really complement each other well. I wish I could tell you more about how they sound individually, but as you might guess, it's hard to do that by simply putting your ear by the front of the amp and trying to evaluate the speakers separately. I only have about 1 hr on the speakers so I'm confident they'll only sound sweeter and sweeter. I've just never heard tone like this combination of amp and speakers puts out. I don't honestly know if it's any better than any number of amps currently on the market, but I do know it's my tone and I couldn't be happier. Superb tone for the jazz and blues I play. And it doesn't matter which guitar I play through it. They ALL sound not just good, but outstanding. Nice job, Jim and Ted, on these speakers.
    It'd be interesting to hear a 2x10" or 4x10" with the 10Ms, or a 1x12" or 2x12" with the "Scumnicos", just to hear them individually. I'll bet they stand on their own just fine.
    Also, the Scumback M75 I installed in my Louis Electric Tremblelux exudes the exact, same kind of "sweetness" as it breaks in. It's my #1 recording and small venue amp. And the Scumback M75 sounds superb in it.
    I must say though, I think Lou Rosano had just a little something to do with the tone of both these amps. He has managed to take these amps a few steps beyond tweed. What a "tone innovator"?!! Both amps are "ear candy" in every possible way. A huge congratulations to both Jim and Lou for their considerable contributions to the eternal search for the perfect tone.
    And I might as well pass out one more kudo to Don Mare for the fabulous pu's on my #1, go to guitar...my USACG Mary Kaye Tele. Thanks Don.

Tom

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Anyone else had a chance to hear the (relatively) new Scumnico and Scumback M10?

Tom

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

No comments on the "Scumnicos"? No one else has heard them?

4. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I had one. It is a nice and round sounding speaker that is definitely different to the Celestion Blue and Gold. The mids are more relaxed and the high end is a little tamer and rounder than with a Blue. The low end is firmer thanks to the additional neo magnet. The speaker however is not really loud. I would compare it to a Scumback M75 or a regular greenback in terms of perceived loudness. Jim however does not agree with my judgement and is rating them at 100db.
    Rene

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I've only played about an hour through the "Scumnico" but I would have to say your observations of tone are consistent with mine (as far as I can hear the "Scumnico" playing along with the new Scumback M10 in my amp). Due to my inexperience with the speaker I'm not sure about volume comparisons, although I find the speaker efficiency about right for my purposes. The Louis Electric KR-10/12 has tons of volume and great headroom, if needed, so efficency is not really an issue with the KR-10/12 like it might be with an amp with less power. For example, my Louis Electric Tremblelux with about 25 watts is a great club amp with a less efficient speaker as the amp and speaker break up sooner and at a lower overall volume. The "Scumnico" just seems a perfect fit for the KR-10/12 and the new Scumback M10 (or 10M) with its smooth, harmonic, top end is a great complement. I'm glad to hear your assessment of the individual "Scumnico" matches what I would have guessed. And I've not heard a Celestion Gold live, so I find your comparison very informative. Thanks so much for your post.

Tom