New Scumback Speaker in my Soldano ROS

retrospex

Got a new SCUMBACK 10" speaker for my Soldano Reverb-O-Sonic Saturday and installed it a bit ago. Definitely better low end and the highs are clearer than the stock speaker. I would say a 10-15% improvement, which is alot considering Mike Soldano wouldn't put junk speakers in his amps. The Scumback is tighter also, which is a good thing. I recorded 2 clips, one before and one after the change. I tried to play close to the same each clip. No settings were changed on the amp or guitar. The guitar is my Gibson Les Paul using the WCR Shredder bridge wide open exclusively. The mic is a vintage Altec-Lansing. Recorded straight direct into my Phillips CD recorder. No effects were used. The tracks are Scumback Soldano and Stock Soldano.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=275750

http://southbayampworks.com/speakers.html

hamfist

I also like it better with the scumback. Definately a bit less harsh, with more midrange fatness. A good upgrade ! HF

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't know if I can put a % on it, but it sounds loads better to my ear as well. Very sweet.

Scumback Speakers

Just a note on the speaker Randy got. It's the 75 watt model of the SA10H75. What you're hearing is a brand new speaker with hardly any time on it vs. a well broken in Soldano 10" speaker.

The higher wattage models take about 40 hours to fully break in due to the higher power handling vs. the 25-30 watt models which take around 15-20 hours to fully break in.

With the amount of playing Randy does (working musician), the speaker should mature and fill out quite a bit for him within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the kind words, Randy! :D

big mike

Might have to snag one of those for my vellocette when I get it back.....

muddy

these speakers of jim's are no joke! for a year, jim wagner was all over my ass to try them, & waggie is rarely wrong in his assessments (his ears are incredible, and VERY quick); well, my expectations were FAR exceeded once i finally ordered & received my scummie! and since it's been broken in, it's been pure magic in combination with my soultone "45" (the bottom speaker in my 2x12 mini-slant is a nos g12-50s that scotty recommended to me; not many are hip to how great these are). anyway, the scumbacks are easily some of the best speakers, tonally, being made today.

ml

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Southbay Ampworks said:
With the amount of playing Randy does (working musician), the speaker should mature and fill out quite a bit for him within a couple of weeks.
If only you could build me a speaker that would cause me to mature as I play it! :eek: :p :D

Scumback Speakers

Jon Silberman said:
If only you could build me a speaker that would cause me to mature as I play it! :eek: :p :D
Disclaimer: This post is intended for humorous fun only, do not take it seriously!

Jon, I'd been thinking about you regarding this, and I may have a solution.

I am working on the "HI-IQ-BACK" speaker right now. :)

That's a custom design that uses YOU as the wiring conduit between the OT and the speaker. Depending on how old the tonal signature of your amp, and your electrical continuity capability, you immediately take on 40-100 IQ points regardless of your previous IQ level. Additionally, your fingers will fly across the fretboard with new found dexterity, land right on the proper notes to evoke the Robben Ford/Michael Landau mojo, rival the speed of Ynwie, intense sonic density and spacial overtones of Jimi Hendrix, and the ear crushing decibel level of Blue Cheer. You can also get some Jerry Garcia playing styles & tones out of it if necessary (there will be an extra fee for that mode, by the way).

The speaker will retail for $299,000.00 and you are not guaranteed to survive the immediate brain power upgrade due to the intensity of the rush, but you will be THE brightest light in your jam room for a very limited time, or until your amp OR YOU flame out like a comet. This will surely make you a legend in your own time, or your own mind, as the mood or electrical amps/volts strike you.

As always (with all of my humorous and not to be taken literally type posts, such as this one!) YMMV, tax & dealer prep, destination charges, sales tax, city tax, initial regsistration with MENSA, and any unforeseen local Einstein restrictons apply. All sales final, no returns or modifications, non-transferrable IQ upgrade to subsequent owners, removal of the usual Scumback label to avoid offending wives, children, employers and people who look at the back of your cabinet (instead of listening to your improved tone) will be extra and a "SPECIAL STEALTH MODE" label will be installed so as not to let on what you're using for an amp tone & technique upgrade.

I am taking advance orders for a December 25, 2026 delivery date. 50% down, 50% on delivery. Please, no out of state checks, only USPS money orders or well hidden cash only. Don't call me, I'll call you, thanks for your business! :rotflmao

Disclaimer: This post is intended for humorous fun only, do not take it seriously!

T2tele

Just what I've been waiting for Jim... only a Scumbag could come up with this?

BTW, I've got about 20 hours on my H55/H75 set, these bad boys get better every time I plug in!!!

T2

brth

I have a Soldano ROS too, and I think it`s one of the best sounding valve amps available. scumbacks are not bad, but the stock speakers are the perfect in every point of view I think. they`re absolutely audible, three dimensional, sound sweet and easy come out from mixes and they have the ceartain midrange freq plus what is important for placing the guitar sound in every musical enviroment. the scumback is too muddy and "concave" to my ears, two dimensional and lack of interesting freqs. it is no accident Soldano loaded those Eminences in it. btw your rig sounds very good dude. good luck

Trending Topics