New sensor kt120

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LARRY GERSHON, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

This is the new 60 watt tube- anyone know how much power i will get out of one of these tubes in my univalve?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

60W is its max disipation. The Univalve is designed to put out a certain power level much less than that and hence the KT120 will too - if it holds together at that power, that is. Could be something of a gamble so I wouldn't experiment with that.

3. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

bump- anyone else have a thought

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I have a thought...

I believe the KT-120 draws over 200 mA more heater current than a KT-88, and that may over-tax your amp. I recommend discussing this with THD before potentially causing damage.

- Thom

5. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I believe New Sensor had hifi, and amp designers in mind when making these tubes, not people who wanted to simply switch them out with the old tubes in there amps. That said, I believe they would be good replacements for the 6550's in Ampeg SVT's and the newer Fender Bassman Pro for a bigger bottom, and less mids if those amps are capable of producing the extra current.

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Again - with the precaution on the heater current draw being over 200mA more on the KT-120.

On a conceptually-related note... is anyone retrofitting their amps with knobs that go to 11 anymore? :rotflmao

- T