New Seymour Duncan Pickups - NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FuzzOff, Jan 20, 2008.

1. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

wow those are cool how much? wiring diagrams? what kind of pots/switches? Very interesting but i dont know if i would put them in my r9

3. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

I haven't seen any details on pricing. Should be interesting to see the street price. I would imagine some special switching is involved.

4. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I did get to hang with Frank.
    Those pickups are really cool. You don't really hear all the tonal differences between single coil-P90-humbucker, until you're able to switch between all three on the fly.
    Great Concept.

I have an admittedly new-found respect for Seymour Duncan. Not that I didn't like them before, but they cooridinated a small discussion dinner and were really interested in what people thought they lacked in thier line, what they needed to improve and what they did well.
    The recorded the entire four hour dinner.
    Then, at about 11PM, Frank offered to wire up some new BlackOuts in an attendee's guitars...right then and there.

THUMBS UP TO SEYMOUR DUNCAN. :)

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

That demo sounds great!

7. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

Yes, demo sounded good but still no cigar. One guitar is not going to replace three guitars. The tones were still quite close to each other IMO but of course the guitar didn't change (the wood around the pickups).

8. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

Yeah I agree to an extent. I think you have to ask yourself who is the market for this pickup. It's not the P90, PAF, Single coil purist. It's the guy who wants to trick out his strat to have a "sort of" P90 and PAF tone when he wants it. I'm squarely in this segment, so I can relate. I also expect it's a fairly sizable market to play in.

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Holy smokes, those are awesome!!! I am definitely going to put a set in my PRS.

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I think the demo was great. I'm not going to swap out PUPs in my Les Paul for them but I would stick them in another HB guitar to have a versatile instrument.

Playing in a classic rock cover band I could use all those tones.

Scott

11. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

They sound great, but are they intended to be a direct replacement for P-90's or Humbuckers? Will any routing be involved? I have a triple P-90 PRS that might be perfect for these pickups.

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Wish they would just add tiny switches directly on the pickup ...

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Excellent idea - I'll try one.

14. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

At least its innovative. I think its cool, and worth a shot if you needed those tones. tunings aside, it would allow you to really just take one guitar....

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Actually I think it will be a great neck pickup. Having the ability to go though all those sounds in the neck would be really nice. I have a SD Jazz in the neck of my CU22 right now and I am really not that crazy about it. I think I will replace it with one of these and wire it for P90/Humbucker.

16. ungarn

ungarn Member

VERY cool...I typically despise the sound of split humbuckers...those dang thangs kick major booty...

17. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Sounds very cool to me. Great idea from the SD folks. I could see myself getting a pair of these.

18. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Interesting sounding but not quite different enough. Like somebody already said, the wood counts too. They look like the pickups that SD designed for the Hamer Talladega.

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I spoke to Frank today at the show, and he demo'd the pickups for me. It's a single coil blade combined with an actual P90. They can be wired in series and parallel, for 2 distinct humbucker tones - parallel = PAFish, & series = more 'rock & roll'. The single coil blade sounds like a nice full single coil and the P90 sounds like a P90 - pretty straight forward. It's as simple as that conceptually and functionally.

Of course there's a range of 'single coil' tones and 'P90' tones, and it sounded there like they got a nice middle ground for both. Naturally one's guitar/amp setup will be major factors too.

They are standard Humbucker size and will retail for $130. I think they did a good job and are offering something unique and useful. Good for them.

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

We are definitely on the same page these days with our gear, frankencat! I now have a SD Jazz in the neck slot of this axe, my one-of-a-kind Reverend S-Hitman (pronounced Es-Hitman - let's keep it clean! :D). I also am thinking of replacing my Jazz with this new PUP.

[​IMG]