New Seymour Duncan Pickups - NAMM

TYY

Something like this might be cool as a tele neck pickup for more versatility- but how would one control/wire it?

Ascension

while the P-90/Strat single hybrid is quite interesting I am more intrested in the new SH-13 Alternative-8.
Anybody got any info on the new Duncan Alternative -8? I am a Seymour Duncan User Board member and an A-8 fan. I have the forum only Crazy -8 and a pair of Custom Trembuckers that started life as Custom-5's but now have the A-8 mags in three of my regular gigging guitars. I was one of the guys on the Duncan BBS who was suggesting they consider the use of the A-8 in a full production pickup. Now it's out as a production pickup at NAMM but the Duncan factory folks on that BBS are dead silent so far on these.
Anybody here played a guitar with one from NAMM or have any pricing, DC resistance #'s or voicing info??

Macaroni

I forgot to mention that neither the single coil blade, nor the P90 are noiseless, but in parallel or series they are. However, even with an OD pedal on, the noise didn't seem to be too bad.

I also got the inside scoop that they are working on having small switches/buttons on the pickup surround, so you can change modes with just a tap on the desired pickup. Otherwise, when you wire these, it's kind of all or nothing, ie: all in single coil, all in P90, all in series or parallel. I guess you could have switches for each individual pickup, but then you might have to mod your guitar.

OccTone

silly looking pick-up, DiMarzio has already been doing this for years much more elegantly I might add, it;s called "dual resonance coils" and yes I am a proud DiMarzio endorsee;-) nothing new to see here folks except for how inept the folks at SD ARE

LReese

silly looking pick-up, DiMarzio has already been doing this for years much more elegantly I might add, it;s called "dual resonance coils" and yes I am a proud DiMarzio endorsee;-) nothing new to see here folks except for how inept the folks at SD ARE

I dunno - it certainly looks different and seems to be a good idea to me. I like the look. I would think this is more of a no compromises p90 tone in a humbucker size. The rail is a compromise but seems to do the job.

For me I cringe when it comes to Dimarzio and their business practices. I've bought a couple of their pickups, but I'm certainly not too thrilled with them. IMO - give me a Duncan designed by one of their inept folks any day.

No offense, I understand you got loyalty to the Dimarzio brand, but that's a pretty strong statement you made. A lot of people feel differently.

FuzzOff

I have owned plenty of Dimarzios and Duncans. Dimarzio does a few things well, but I didn't love any of their pickups enough to keep them. I still have a few Duncans though. If you consider guitarist are voting with their dollars, Seymour Duncan is kicking Dimarzios behind 6 ways 'til sunday. Although I still prefer Fralins, Vintage Vibes and Lollars, my non-boutique pickups are all Duncans.

LReese

Seymour Duncan is kicking Dimarzios behind 6 ways 'til sunday. Although I still prefer Fralins, Vintage Vibes and Lollars, my non-boutique pickups are all Duncans.

I wouldn't go that far - DiMarzio has done a lot of things right, they wouldn't have been around for 35 years give or take if they haven't. IMO, they have this slick corporate image that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Their products are certainly good, but their practices leave something to be desired. A lot of my perception was formed by a slick salesperson I ran into in my younger years.

To me, the SD corporation seems to be very down to earth and approachable, like a member of the community. SD seems to be supportive of the pickup market as a whole and the little guys, which also happen to be his competitors. We're getting off the subject though...

Hats off to SD - I think he's got a winner. Heck, I might buy one of the P90/Rail pickups - and I'm a die hard single coil guy. :BEER

FuzzOff

I wouldn't go that far - DiMarzio has done a lot of things right, they wouldn't have been around for 35 years give or take if they haven't. IMO, they have this slick corporate image that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Their products are certainly good, but their practices leave something to be desired. A lot of my perception was formed by a slick salesperson I ran into in my younger years.

To me, the SD corporation seems to be very down to earth and approachable, like a member of the community. SD seems to be supportive of the pickup market as a whole and the little guys, which also happen to be his competitors. We're getting off the subject though...

Hats off to SD - I think he's got a winner. Heck, I might buy one of the P90/Rail pickups - and I'm a die hard single coil guy. :BEER

I'm speaking strictly from a market share standpoint. I don't have any share numbers on the pickup business, but I see far more Duncans than Dimarzio mounted in guitars. Of course there's a slew of boutique makers that meet a niche segment, but we're comparing the #1 and #2 players in the category. I'm sure someone on here has share numbers on these guys. Would be interesting to see.

Agree that we're getting way off topic, thanks to some SD slamming from a Dimarzio endorsee :rolleyes:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom