new seymour duncans for my les paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samuelson, Mar 23, 2006.

1. samuelson

samuelson Member

I want to get rid of the metallica - deathmetal sound on my 2004 les paul custom and get more of an allman brothers or classic rock sound. what seymour duncan pickups should I put in the guitar?:)

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

If you want Duncans, try the '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. This should get you anywhere from a vintage rock sound to ZZ Top, Bad Company, etc....

Or, you could try the pickups an LP Standard comes with - Gibson 490R in the neck and a 498T in the bridge.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Seth Lovers are pretty cool. I haven't tried the Antiquitys, but I hear they are pretty cool too.

Heck, a pair of 59's might do the job. Lots of choices.:)

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I like the 59 neck and Custom 5 bridge models myself. The Custom 5 can do the classic rock thing, along with blues and metal (when boosted with a mild overdrive pedal). It's very versatile. I'm quite happy with it, I believe truly that with it I have "my sound."

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Another brother chasing the Allman Tone! Isn't it just the best tone in the world!!? I'll hear an Allman Brothers Tune and just float away on the pure sonic nirvana that is Dickey Betts, Duane Allman and Warren Haynes.........:dude

Best of luck and hope you reach it............:AOK

6. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I just put Antiquities in my R8 and love 'em. Warren/Allman/classic rock vibe all the way. I've tried the A2Ps, '59s, the PGs and I have JBs in a Paul now. Out of those I would say the '59s and the A2Ps would work the best. I also think that the Seth Lovers are "de-gaussed" to make the Ants so they might be pretty comparable.

Also, the Fralin humbuckers and the WCR Crossroads should get you there but I haven't tried those out myself yet.

7. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Of all the Duncan humbuckers I've tried over the years I actually like the '59 for both neck and bridge the best. Especially for the price.

8. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

JB neck and Custom 5 bridge is a good match .

9. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've had antiquities in my Paul and loved them, but presently I put a 59' in the neck and love that even more, gives it more bite and just a bit more balls all around. A few friends have the Seth Lovers and swear by them, so you have some choices w/ Duncans, which are just great pickups all around.

10. jpage

And for that Allman Marshall tone Germino amps are indescribable. Matched up with the Ants or Seths or Crossroads in a Les Paul you will be right there.

11. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

I would recommend just the opposite. The A5 nag in the 59 will help fatten up the lows in the bridge position while the A2 in the PG will eliminate the mud I find from neck 59's

That said, a set of Seth Lovers' may be the best route for the classic rock sounds you are looking for.

12. nek

nek Member

Got antiquities in mine, sounds great.

13. King Ceramic

King Ceramic Guest

WCR all the way. Tons of threads and posts about them here. Plus, now if you need to fine tune them even more, they have a buncha different mags that slide right in. Only takes literally seconds to do it. Pretty modular pickups, industrial construction.They can take a lickin'. You go to their site, and custom bulid the pickups right there, and do any magnet swapping, add covers, etc. after the fact if you want.
    His DarkBurst specs are right off Duane's axe, and the covers are solid nickle silver to boot. Not plated brass. I play 'em right in front of a JCM800 dimed, no problems at all.
    They get them right out to you as well. Killer customer service.:dude

14. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Lots of great Duncans. Seth Lovers are my fav. There are tons of great pickups to be had though. Tom Anderson's p/u are awesome as well, 'bout the same price range. I have Tom holmes Vintage style in my LP but man, they are pricey. I love 'em but I should be committed. I won't pay Pizza Hut what they ask for a pizza, but I'll spend a house payment on pickups!:jo

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Different covers, too- the Antiquities have the traditional nickel with no chroming, and are slightly larger. That said... very similar sounding, and great.
    The Jazz neck & '59 bridge are also a usable combo.

16. jpage

A lickin'? Now they are TOUGH? C'mon, you WCR guys crack me up. I'm sure they are nice. But are you saying they are...rugged? What, are you draggin' your guitar pickups behind your truck now??